Ditropan or Ditropan XL?

eric (clack013)

Post by eric (clack013) »

oh thats interesting how it all works. It definitely makes sense now that people can report things unrelated. It's good to know why nausea and vomiting is listed for everything, I was wondering about that.

eric (clack013)

I cut my dose down to .75 (of a 5mg pill) 3x a day. I think that taking .75 might not be strong enough to cut my sweating down to an ideal level. But because I still want to cut my dose down I am curious if I should try to take a full 5 mg pill but only twice a day instead of three times. For whatever reason I got the impression that ditropan worked better when taken without missing a dose but I am now realizing that on days that I dont need it I would rather not take it. I remember taking 2 pills a day in the past was not sufficient, but I am thinking if I take it around times that I need it the most it will hopefully work better. I guess what I am kind of wondering is I look at taking ditropan long term so I feel like if I dont miss doses then in the long run I should be fine the whole day. But u have made me realize that ditropan might not work like this. So I guess I need to find the dose that lowers the sweating for me and when I find this dose if I havent used any ditropan for a week but I have an important event I can use that dose for the important event and be dry for 4-5 hours. This post might be kind of confusing I am just trying to work out my thoughts and possibly get feedback. Basically I guess my question is: Comparing 2 pills a day to 3 is 3 giving me more sweat protection or is it just buying me more time? (Like each pill lasts 4-5 hours so the 3rd pill just gives me an extra 4-5 hours)

Rhubarb

Post by Rhubarb »

Hi Eric
You are absolutely right to begin to view it in this way - and it isn't a silly question at all. The absolute ideal, the optimal thing that you need to do, is to find the absolute lowest dose that will work for you when you need it to work for you. It isn't designed, nor is it a good idea, to take it all the time in a regular manner, as with many other medications we may or may not be taking.
It does have a relatively short half-life, this being anything from 4 to 6-ish hours - it varies considerably between people, but this is a good enough guideline at least. So, if for example, you were going out on a date, meeting at 7pm, I would be taking my dose at 6 or shortly thereafter. If the dat was to last in excess of 4 hours, I would take another dose at around 4 or so hours after the first dose I took at 6pm.
It really should be used like this, for the reasons that we are using it - when used for it's proper fuction, ie to control urinary incontinence problems, then it's a different thing altogether and a true dosage regimen needs to be established - but for HH, we need to 'plan' it all so that it gives us optimal cover.
Remember, Eric, it isn't going to stop all of our symptoms, just minimise them - the extent to which it will do that depends upon us as an individual, upon us finding that dose which works best for us, with just the right balance of good and bad side effects and so on.
Try and think of it a bit like a sleeping tablet - ie we don't take those in the middle of the day, we take them shortly before we would like to get some proper rest & sleep. It's just the same with Ditropan - use it to help with any acute things you may need to do - public speaking, a date....whatever it might be. During the cooler times, or overnight, simply don't bother with it if you can do that.
If you do these two things, you will at least know how well the thing can help you - and minimise the mouth dryness along the way. Take as little as you can do without the effect upon the sweating becoming too diminished for you - no point taking so small a dose as for it to not work at all or enough.
Very much a balancing act, my friend - just always recall that it will usually, for most people, only work at peak level for 4 to 6 hours - but also remember that this is merely a guideline - for instance I have have people tell me it has lasted a couple of days from a single tablet - we're all different, Eric. You need to find YOUR dose, the one that works for you and with an acceptable level of side effects that you can tolerate.
One other thing I've not gone into : are there any other medications that you take at all?
Some can affect how it works etc.
Please let me know if you have any queries re: this answer or any other stuff at all I can help with.
Cheers for now

eric (clack013)

ok thankyou for the information it is very helpful for me so I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that. I think I am going to go back up to a full pill and try to only take it twice a day to see how that works. Also when possible I will try to avoid taking the pills altogether.

I don't take other medications but I do take many supplements and vitamins. Every day I take a fiber (metamucil) drink and probiotic pill (culturelle) for my IBS. Also on bad days with the IBS I take calcium (maalox) and Immodium. I take echinacea and a multi vitamin to say healthy. I have tried taking regular doses of ibuprofin because I have heard that non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs can be beneficial for hyperhidrosis.

Are there any other medications that can treat hyperhidrosis or are we stuck with the anticholinergics?

Rhubarb

Post by Rhubarb »

Hi Eric
Nothing there so far as any other meds that might interfere with the Ditropan at all.........save the Imodium in some people, since it also makes the bowel more sluggish and thus further compounds the effect that the ditropan has in doing the very same thing. In some people, this could constipate but of course, with your IBS, this isn't an issue.
I've never heard anywhere regarding Ibuprofen or any other NSAID's being useful for HH and, furthermore I seriously doubt it as being possible that physiologically they could do anything other than have a placebo effect - there simply isn't anything about them, so far as I'm aware, that can assist with HH at all - but if you have any info at all to the contrary, please do let me have the source and I'll have a very good look into it.
Something to be mindful of - though you possibly already are aware, but nontheless is worth mentioning in case you aren't :
With most ( and by most I mean practically ALL) NSAID's, it is vitally important to not take them on an empty stomach under any circumstances. Doing so can cause gastric ulceration, possible gastric bleeding and possible gastric perforation - this group of drugs, whilst being incredibly versatile and useful, have inherent dangers that not all people are aware of and this is the main one by far. Trust me, Eric, I have seen the worst possible consequences of what can happen - always at least have a half glass of milk and a biscuit, or a slice of bread/toast - something to put into your stomach before taking ANY NSAID"s
Sorry if I've merely rattled on about something you know well enough already, but nothing lost if so.
Keep me posted Eric - if the one tablet twice a day is fine for you, go for it.
Nothing else of any worthwhile value for HH other than anticholinergics, or at least none that I'm aware of - Clonidine is one I think you're already aware of, but would avoid it like the plague - it doesn't work for everyone and when it does not nearly so well, plus the side effects can be dreadful - keep well away from it. I still strongly suggest the wipes I mentioned, available from pharmacy.ca - though you never mentioned if a significant part of your own HH is facial or not - if so, the wipes are pretty much a must-try for you. There is Robinul capsules, available in some parts of the world but not others, but to be fair, Ditropan will do just as good and the same sort of job for HH - it's merely a different anticholinergic.....and that's about it, my friend. We aren't left with too much to mess about with at this stage, until someone invents something specifically for us :)
One day, maybe..........
Cheers for now - and no problems at all re: my replying - it's something I am at least able to do with my knowledge base and skills rather than not use them at all :)

eric (clack013)

I don't have a great source regarding NSAID's being used for hyperhidrosis but here is the link where I read a short paragraph about it:

http://www.sweathelp.org/English/HCP_Tr ... thacin.asp

I don't understand how it would work either but if you find out any more information please let me know.

Wow I have been taking ibuprofin on an empty stomach for a long time and to makes things worse I have taken it on an empty stomach with alcohol for a long time. I didn't know that it was a problem but thank u for letting me know, maybe it has contributed to some of my stomach discomfort?

Recently I came across something that has been listed on a couple of forums. There is a study on the internet somewhere saying that agaric and camphoric acid are effective in paralyzing the sweat glands without any other side effects. Apparently these two substances had been used in the late 1800's/early 1900's for people with tuberculosis to treat night sweats. I am not sure if these are actually possible or not but I would be happy to hear your opinion on them.

here is the other forum I found this topic on:

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/postt8245.html

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Eric

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow this thread is amazing! Thanks to both of you (Eric and Rhubarb) for posting so much useful information.

Rhubarb

heartfelt thanks to admin!!

Post by Rhubarb »

Hi all
Thank you for the kind words - I reckon it's been and will continue to be of use to many - well, i hope that's how it goes, anyway.
I'm still getting around to erics last set of links - have had more than a few things happen in my personal life, so have had to ease back a lot from normal, everyday things - in short, wife and i have separated and don't have m,uch time for anything other than the basics and getting my life back together again along that slow old road.
So, my apologies at any absence in the immediate future - i will be back, hopefully bigger, stronger, faster etc, but for now, have to get on with the basics.
Wish the site the very best and i'm sure it is a great resource and will become only a much better one given time and interest.
Wish me luck - it's odd being on your own!
Ciao for now

eric (clack013)

I am sorry to hear that. I hope that things end up okay for you. I would like to hear from you again when you get a chance but for now definitely take your time and do what you need to do. Good luck with everything.

Ric88

Post by Ric88 »

Thank you all for sharing your info on this board. I'm hoping to save my successful but checkered sales career due to excessive facial/cranial sweating during stressful public speaking situations.

I've just started using 5mg oxybutynin and I'm still working on finding the right dosage schedule that works for my facial sweating. So far I found 5mg at dinner time to work well for my night sweats. The jury is still out regarding its effectivenes during public speaking engagements.

I also just ordered the avert wipes from www.pharmacy.ca. I'll let you all know how this all works out for me. And hopeful I can help someone like you've all helped me.

eric (clack013)

keep me updated on side effects you experience and how effective it is and everything

jordybb

Post by jordybb »

basically Ditropan is a drug that reduces muscle spasms of the bladder and urinary tract.
Ditropan is used to treat symptoms of overactive bladder, such as frequent or urgent urination, incontinence (urine leakage), and increased night-time urination.
Ditropan may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
and point to be noted is that you should not use Ditropan if you are allergic to oxybutynin, or if you have untreated or uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, a blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines), or if you are unable to urinate.

redfern1950s

Re: Ditropan or Ditropan XL?

Post by redfern1950s »

Hello,
where do i start ?
Im 45, and had an accident on my mountain bike, back in 1993.. "i hit a closed gate at over 40mph" resulting in a back and neck injury...followed by many years of muscle spasms....,on going treatment to this day..
Aside from this about, 2 years after my accident, i started to sweat....,a lot.....,uncontrolable, and in any situation....., uptill this accident, i used to cycle an average of 11.000mile a year!....,with out sweating ever, not one bit.
In 1996 i moved from liverpool to scotland, it turned out to be a bad move, was scotlands worst ever winter, it was an unbelievable -28 where i lived ! At the time i lived in a cottage with very poor heating......., i will come back to this in a while/further on..
In 1998 i moved back to england, by this time my 'HH'' (yet to be diagnosed) was becoming unbereable.. i visited my GP, he took various tests 'bloodworks etc etc'...., this was to see if there was an underlying illness... There was'nt.......luckily..,but nothing was done was done about the sweating, "my fault really, by not requesting any answers"...!!!!
Well......,14 years later.......living with this hell......, missing out on my life......, as any one with this knows, this is a life ruiner..
I was rushed into hospital about 2 months ago, (ive been under a lot of stress), with a suspected heart attack....! it was'nt , it was put down to stress/panic attack..., still very scary..
Whilst at hospital, they yet again done the usual tests ( oh ye, i must add, i had been to see my GP about a week or so prior to this ,complaing about the sweating, so blood tests where taken, and i was yet to wait for the results ).
As with the hospital tests, and the ones from my GP........yet again revealed NO underlying illness!!!!!!!
So what the HELL is up with me ? i asked ............
I was told i have the possibility of rare syndrome called 'episodic hyperhidrosis with hyperthermia'.......,
When i had my accident i not only damaged my spine, i also took a good hit to my head, then add this to a possible 'cold injury' whilst in scotland, is why ive been like this for 17years !!!!!!!......., my god my life has been so bad all these years "if you can call it a life", ive basically stayed in for the last 10 years, suffering in silence, not knowing anything...i sweat from head to toe, all the time, even through the night, to the point where i dont go to bed, becouse my wife hates the wetness...
My toenails, all of them are rotton. i now know this is a complication of 'HH', mine are really bad...
I dont know whats worse, the 'HH' or the hyperthermia, its that bad, i cant stop shaking, and im like this all the time. Turns out, that visit to the hospital a couple of months ago, was for something else..., and it was;nt spotted, i now know it was'nt a heart/panic attack....., i was suffering from hyperthermia brought on by 'HH'........., i thought i was going to die, it was very frightening.
After the hospital i saw a my GP , they straight away with no hesitation, prescribed me 'Ditropan/oxybutynin'....
Before i mention what its done for me, i must add :
On one hand im very happy, but on the other im very angry..., ive missed out on so much over the last 17 years, its been hard coping with my back injury all these years, but to have this aswell....... and to find out that i could have had help.......,
I will mention this aswell........., becouse i know im not alone on this, but when i first found out what was wrong, i went onto the net looking fo answers, and all i found was, lots & lots of people with simular/same or worse problems than me with this terrible problem...
I read some of them, being depressed any way doesnt help........, BUT i just burst out crying......, this is so bad, ive since emailed a few people on various sights/forums, who are asking the same questions, with what ive found out.......then i found this one , concerning 'Oxybutynin'

It worked for me within a hour of taking the first one, they wher working brilliantly for the first 6 weeks ! ( life changing )......, then i had to go back to my GP, ive had to up the dose to 4 a day...
They do work very well, the very dry mouth, i can live with, just drink more water, and i have sugar free gum....., sorted.

But becouse i suffer from hyperthermia, i have this constant ghost sweat all over my body, i feel like the sweat is just waiting to burst through, and this makes me very cold, hence the shivering which i cant control, this usually lasts all day, i cant get warm, no matter what i do.
Any way : bottom line, Oxybutynin is well worth it, the dry mouth if like me , is not a problem when compared to the sweating....

Im next week going to request help with this, i need to have an 'MRI', i want to know how this started. be it from my back injury/sympathetic nerve damage. to my head injury' hyperthalmus' or 'agenesis of the corpus callosum'. or to see if it is a 'cold injury' that screwed me up.

Any way......., hope my blog helps...
Kind regards.........,martin
PS. i must add this to my blog : i know this isnt anything to do with this drug, but....., im having problems with the benefits agency, aside from my obvious back injury and lack of mobility due to this......., the problems that severe 'HH' offers, is above the benefits agencies knowledge. i have been on disability benefit for 18 years now, and becouse our government have brought about changes,
Well after a dudious medical examination by the benefits agency, i have been placed in a work related activity group !
This is becouse i can feed my self and im going to live for more than 6 months "i have a copy of the decission, and it quates this !"
As all of you on here are fully aware of the problems and difficulties that arrise with 'HH'...it effects everything in life, mine to the extent of permenently hiding away 'sweating and shivering' in doors.....
They are now aware of my illness, but to my horror, the benefits agency asked me "what is hyperhidrosis, what is the sympathetic nerve'?.......oh my god, how can they assess peoples lifes and capabilities, when they have no idea what they are dealing with ? ......madness especially when the person doing these assessments, is only a nurse "i must add, no disrespect to nurses, i would have thought , if they are going to play with peoples lifes, then they should at least have some one who knows what they are dealing with...especcially when it involves an illness that can be very debilitating.
I have a 7 page print out from 'NHS WALES .GOV.com' that covers this illness, a document from the government, that they have obviously not read them selves concidering they wrote it. Basically the dole want to stop my money becouse im not able to attend the job club thing, im not well enough to go, simple.

redfern1950s

Post by redfern1950s »

hi again,
Also meant to mention ;

Oxybutynin/ditropan is apparently the only drug out there that is prescribed for the rare syndrome of : episodic hyperhidrosis with hyperthermia

KeithUK

Post by KeithUK »

Hi all.
I suffer With HH and am prescribed pro-banthine.
Robinul seems to be the way to go.
See www.askapatient.com. Enter the drug name and see people's opinion who actually use drug. Important to take on an empty stomach, hours before eating.

Good luck

Keith