My experience with Botox

iiS

My experience with Botox

Post by iiS »

In Feb 2012: I used botox injections. Used 1 bottle for both palms. This treated me for 6 weeks only.

In May 2012: I used 2 bottles for both hands , results were (85%-90% success). I am now in July 2012 (i.e. 12 weeks) and started having sweaty palms (60% success result).

Interesting thing i noted that my feet sweating is much less, i think because mentally i know that my hand are not sweating.

Anesthesia and Pain:

1st time: performed palms Anesthesia for 2 out of 3 nerves going through the hand. The doctor used syringes which are used for insulin injections. The process was unbearably painful.

2st time: applied Anesthetic cream 10 to 15 times over approx 1 hour before the botox injections. The doctor used ice to reduce pain. Though, the process was still painful, but less than the first time.

It seems that the hand nerves are so sensitive and can feel each and every sting.

I think other doctors (may be in the US, Canada or other countries) use special injections devise which do not cause such painful experience. Please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7KXQBrV578

Cost:

Botox bottle cost approx USD 300. Doctor fees: USD 150. (this is in Abu Dhabi UAE).

Botox is painful and costly.

Other side effect: I felt that my control over my fingers is little bit weaker. For example i was not able to squeeze a lemon. (but this matter did not bother me much),

AgentTran

Re: My experience with Botox

Post by AgentTran »

Hi iiS,

I also have had Botox done for both hands to treat my palmar hyperhidrosis before but, it only lasted me a month though. I had it done in the U.S. during one of the International Hyperhidrosis Society's CME event and, to be honest, it wasn't that bad at all. They only used ice and pressure for my treatment and the only times I really felt an appreciable sting was when the fingertips were being injected. Does your doctor have experience in treating hyperhidrosis with Botox? If not, I heard it could be painful. Pain is also subjective so what might be fine with me might be painful to others.

In the U.S., the dosage is measured by what is known as "units of efficiency" and is drawn from vials. I'm not sure how many "bottles" this equals but, I had about 75 injections per hand. If it is really too painful to bear, even with anesthetics, you might want to consider attending the next CME event held by the IHHS (which is next month) and see how it is properly done. The treatment is free so you will only have to pay for airfare and other related expenses. Patient registration is not available yet but, the event will take place on Sept. 8 in New Jersey and you can inquire more about it through their contact page if you are interested. You can also try using their physician finder to help find a doctor that have been properly trained to treat HH that may be able to help in your area. Keep in mind though, even when done properly, the effective of Botox will still vary from person-to-person and this is perfectly normal. Best of luck to you!

iiS

Post by iiS »

Thanks AgentTran. Thats great. However, I am thinking seriously of doing the ESB procedure. Did you think about doing it..?

AgentTran

Post by AgentTran »

Hi iiS,

Sorry I didn't see this message sooner. I thought that I checked the "notify me when a reply is posted" box last time but didn't.

Actually, yes, I had thought about doing surgery years before but, luckily, a very caring lady talked me out it. Over the years, I have heard of many people who had the procedure done and wished they didn't and I'm so glad I decided not to do it. The most common side effect of surgery is compensatory sweating and, even though the nerves are clamped and not cut in the ESB procedure, I have never heard of a case of a successful reversal of side effects by clamp removal. In other words, it is effectively the same as having it cut. I would highly recommend avoiding it at all cost if possible. The effects are permanent and you don't know where you might sweat next and there are people out there who now have to find ways of treating the sweating caused by the procedure. The risks are just too great.