Getting shocks from iontophoresis machine

Dermadry, Drionic, Fischer, Hidroxa, Idrostar and Homemade Machines.
Thuja

Getting shocks from iontophoresis machine

Post by Thuja »

Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum. I have benefitted hugely from iontophoresis advice I have found online, however, and I'm hoping someone could help me with this problem. A few years ago, I created my own iontophoresis machine, which basically cured my sweating hands. I have continued doing maintenance treatments since then, with a few different incarnations of the machine and tons of success. Recently, I have got 3 shocks from the treatment, and I'm trying to figure out why, and how I can make the machine safer. They shocks aren't big, but they're bigger than the arc buzz that I get when taking my hands out of the water at the end of the treatment. These ones make my whole upper body flinch, and they scare me because I don't know what's causing them. I've also been getting smaller sort-of "tweaks" of surge while my hands are stationary in the water. If they keep up, I want to discontinue iontophoresis. Any advice would be appreciated. Today, when I got a shock, I was using:

Two round aluminum pie pans (disposable) - cut lower near my hands to allow space for my wrists
Two new Duracell 6 volt lantern batteries, wired in series
Insulated wires with alligator clips
Two soft cloths to prevent contact between the pans and my hands
Tap water

However, I also received a shock a couple weeks ago using this setup:

Two non-conductive (teflon?) baking pans with aluminum foil electrodes placed in the water
Two Duracell 9-volt batteries, wired in series (used many times successfully)
Insulated wires (same ones)
Two soft cloths (same ones)
Tap water + sea salt

I'm trying to figure out what the occasions have in common. In 2/3 cases, the shocks occurred when I was pushing on the pans while my hands are in the water, trying to slide them a little closer into a more comfortable position for my arms (still at least 1.5 feet apart, however). This leads me to wonder whether it may be related to static buildup between the pans and the wood table underneath. I've been considering putting something under the pans in case the underlying surface is involved, but I'm unsure whether to use something insulating like rubber, or anti-static like cotton.

Your advice or theories would be hugely appreciated.