Please help my son

Beaner Nuevo

Please help my son

Post by Beaner Nuevo »

My son has severe hand sweating. He is twenty and has had it all his life. Difficulty holding a pencil, soaking a paper, slippery tools...
I can see the sweat glistening from across the room. Social situations are difficult as Im seeing people wipe there hands after meeting him. I want to help
and we are interested in surgery as topical meds don't work. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and don't know who to see or where to start.
We also have insurance but need some strategies to get them to cover it. Its been my experience with Blue Cross they put up a fight.
My feeling is if life AND work are effected why shouldn't it be covered? Please Help and thanks in advance.

steve_nf

Re: Please help my son

Post by steve_nf »

Hi, you've done the right thing posting on these boards.

I searched and found this information regarding Blue Cross Anthem (which I believe is Blue Cross for California), and hyperhidrosis. Here: http://www.anthem.com/medicalpolicies/p ... 050005.htm

Now in this they say you must adequately document all non-surgical treatments before going for surgery. I assume this means Antiperspirants, Iontophoresis, and Oral meds (Robinul). However, I would definitely make sure this is all they mean, they maybe won't say they require the Oral meds, or maybe they require Botox for the hands... Definitely call them and get confirmation on that.

You will want to bring hyperhidrosis up with a physician (usually a dermatologist) so they can medically document everything. Be on top of it and make sure they are indeed documenting the treatments. Some dermatologists have ionophoresis machines in their offices, which is great.

Aetna covered my ETS Surgery, and they did a good job doing so.

Good luck,
Stephen

Beaner Nuevo

Re: Please help my son

Post by Beaner Nuevo »

Thank you Steven. Good advice.