ETS Surgery over 1 year ago

rachel_0001

ETS Surgery over 1 year ago

Post by rachel_0001 »

Hi. This is my first time posting on this forum, I wish I'd found it when I had palmer hyperhidrosis and before I had my surgery!!
I decided to go ahead with my surgery about two years ago, (I had both sides done) I eventually had it done on the 10th of January 2011, so it's now been one year and ten months. Initially everything went according to plan and my hands were dry as soon as I'd woken up from the anaesthetic. However; two days later, my surgeon told me I'd developed a pneumothorax (collapsed lung), although I knew this was a post op complication that could happen. They fixed it by putting in another chest drain and within a day my lung had come back up. Anyway, I stayed in hospital for a total of 5 days.

Everything had been going great, up until last December, so 11 months after my surgery. I noticed that my right hand was sweating again, not as bad as it was at first before ETS, but I was annoyed that it had come back. I then noticed that I was having really bad compensatory sweating on my face, back and groin area. I am currently a 3rd year student nurse, so having all of these side effects is really quite embarrassing and incredibly annoying.

I have an appointment with my surgeon next month, and I don't know whether I should go ahead and let him re-do my right side after everything that happened the first time.

Has anyone else suffered a set-back like this with their Hyperhidrosis and ETS surgery? I'd be really happy to hear other peoples' opinions on what I should do.

Thanks for reading :)

steve_nf

Re: ETS Surgery over 1 year ago

Post by steve_nf »

Hi,

Right hand sweating also recurred for me about 8 months after my ETS surgery. I had my surgery very close to yours, Jan 20th 2011. It can be troublesome, and I haven't really treated it yet. I've been thinking about trying iontophoresis on it. According to Dr. Reisfeld's site, this recurrence sweating can be caused by Catecholamines (see https://www.sweaty-palms.com/hyperhidrosis_recurrence). I've never been properly evaluated, but I think I'm a very anxious person. So, I think my recurrence sweating is because of that. Ask your surgeon if they cut more nerves with the re-surgery. Do your feet still sweat a lot after the surgery? Mine do.

greene57

Post by greene57 »

I had ETS in mid 1990s (in my early 20s) for horrendous excessive sweating on my hands. Every day of my life and usually all day, my hands were drenched (dripping with sweat). My ETS side effects were:
1. Post 12 months ETS, my left hand began to sweat very slightly in my the centre of my palm and my right hand has remained (very) dry. No change to this situation to this day.
2. Almost immediately after the surgery, the compensatory sweating (CS) kicked in. To this day, my neck, upper back and stomach sweat excessively off and on, and always when I eat (anything). My sweaty neck (often drenched) is the worst side effect as I'm female and can't wear my hair long - my neck gets so wet, my hair gets wet.
To sum up my experience, ETS moved VERY excessive sweating from one part of my body (hands) to the another (trunk-neck/back/stomach).

AllSweaty

Post by AllSweaty »

Glad your happy with the surgery greene57.

I also had it almost a year ago for excessive sweating in my hands. Unfortunately, one month after the surgery my hands started to sweat again.

Conclusion: I still sweat from my hands and i have excessive compensatory sweating. The only thing that got better is armpit sweating, that still very reduced after surgery.

Larysa183

Post by Larysa183 »

It's been almost 6 years since I had ETS surgery, I suffered with extremely bad sweating from my palms and feet. I have been so happy with the results of my surgery. I do still sweat from my hands, but only if i'm really hot and my feel still sweat. I was told that the surgery would not affect my feet but only my palms. I do get facial sweating when eating or smelling certain foods (gustatory sweating) but it really is nothing compared to how my hands used to sweat.

wetdude

Post by wetdude »

They must be cutting or camping less these days I had surgery 17 years ago and my hands are way to dry still. My hands only sweat when I wear rubber gloves for along period of time. My head never sweats. bone dry. maybe I should try wearing a rubber glove on my head.
I think I had t2 maybe t3 cauterized not really sure though. Bottom line is don't mess with your thermoregulation. I wish i had tried more options before having this joke of a surgery.