ETS for hyperhidrosis

kamalika

ETS for hyperhidrosis

Post by kamalika »

Would you recommend ETS for hyperhidrosis? I have had hyperhidrosis all my life. I have tried antiprespirants and recently botox injections but none of them solved the problem. Would you recommend ETS surgery? Also, how much would it cost and where could I get the surgery?
Last edited by kamalika on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slovenec

Re: ETS for hyperhidrosis

Post by slovenec »

It heavily depends on your condition. You certainly shouldn't have the ETS if your whole body sweats too much. It also seems that ETS has worse outcomes for those who suffer from facial or armpit HH.

Even if your HH is localized to your hands or feet, you should be aware that ETS is not a perfect solution. About 5% regret the surgery for the rest of their lives and consider the side effects far worse than the original condition. Another 80% experience more or less unpleasant side effects (you can find an extensive list here on the forum), but consider them a reasonable trade off for constantly sweaty palms/feet. In my case my palmar HH was so horrible (the sweat was dripping from my palms constantly all the time when I was awake) that I considered I was willing to risk everything just to get rid of this terrible condition. I was lucky and apart from CS (which is fading away with the years passing by) I experience no side effects. I must say that it was one of the most important and the best decisions in my life.

Therefore, you should decide for the surgery only if your HH is constant, limiting and unbearable. You should also try all other options first (ionthopheresis, strong antiperspirants). If you decide for the ETS, you should choose a surgeon who does minimal damage to your ganglia. It's probably better to have a minimal surgery (I found some of the options in the literature: T4 only, the chain cut between T1 and T2, also some other options that I am not aware of) and risk the possibility of a relapse or not completely dry hands, and then have a redo if necessary.

Unfortunately ETS has become a big business for some greedy surgeons. One of the indications is also a reasonable price of the surgery. Some of the worst ones demand as much as 34 000 USD for the surgery. I paid more than 10 times less and had a very positive overall experience with the surgery.

superyou

Re: ETS for hyperhidrosis

Post by superyou »

If only your hands/feet are affected by hyperhidrosis (you didn't specify) then try iontophoresis before resorting to ETS.