ETS Surgery (Sweaty Palms ONLY)

sweatpalmer

ETS Surgery (Sweaty Palms ONLY)

Post by sweatpalmer »

Hi Fellow sufferers,

Just for information, i suffer from sweaty palms and sweaty feet. but my main concern is only the palms.
I decided to go for surgery to eradicate my problems once n for all. Had tried topical lotions like (perpireX, driclor), totally no use!
So found this forum while doing research on ETS.

I had read about all the HORROR stories on the ETS, and i was really contemplating on the surgery.
I had so far visted 2 doctors.

Doc 1- propose a surgery of burning of both T2 & T3. he claims only burning of T3 is not effective, n if he was to burn only one, he will burn only T2. But he say according to his standard operation protocol, he will still burn both T2 n 3. He agrees that one will not sweat above nipple line after surgery, but he dont have any complaints from patients regarding issues from that. Only issue is compensating sweating which will increase slightly in other areas.

Doc 2- propose only burning of T3. He claim by doing so, it will just stop sweating on the palms. No issue with sweating nipple line and above.
I think by doing so, it will minimise all side effects of ETS (VS burning of both T2 &3). minimise compensate sweating (only sweat form hands will be compensated vs sweat from hand, face etc.)
eradicate all other problems that comes with not sweating nipple line and above (hair loss, burning face, uncomfortable feeling of inabilty to sweat on face, dry face, loss of of sensitivity of face to touch etc.and other physocological problems that comes with it)

This seem like a solution to the problems!
If anyone that have an operation with only burning of T3, care to share your side of story?

Many thanks!!

sweatpalmer

Re: ETS Surgery (Sweaty Palms ONLY)

Post by sweatpalmer »

Anyway, im seeking a 3rd opinion from another doc. keep you guys updated!

slovenec

Post by slovenec »

Don't do T2 and in no case T2&T3.

See:

T2 vs T2&T3 & T3&T4 vs T4:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18549895

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17210397 (aux. HH, see only the CS section)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17243877 (aux. HH, see only the CS section)
Last edited by slovenec on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

slovenec

Post by slovenec »

sweatpalmer

Post by sweatpalmer »

Both doctors did not mention burning of T4 only.
Did you get ETS done too?
which Ts did you have burned?

slovenec

Post by slovenec »

I had T2 cut in 1997. At that time it was rather experimental, controversial and unusual - most doctors insisted that all T2-T4 (+T5) had to be removed. Much later two surgeons from Taiwan and Finland suggested cutting T4 only. One of my friends had T4 cut in 1999 and suffers from almost no side effects. After so many years my hands sweat normally (ie. in a sauna, during a strenuous exercise) and my "nipple line border" moved higher: also my neck and the back part of my head are able to sweat normally. My friend's palms now sweat a bit more than he desires, however, his sweating is far from the initial HH.

sweatpalmer

Post by sweatpalmer »

I guess you are the lucky few with minimal side effects after getting T2 cut.
After speaking to another (3rd) doctor, he claim everyone's effect is different, with T2 cut, there is a 5-10% chance of patients who will suffer from not able to sweat above neckline.
He suggest cutting T2 for palmar HH & additional T3 for HH in the armpit. so in my case he will suggest to go for T2.

i guess i will still go for the doctor who suggest T3.
i hope my choice is right.
so far in my country (Singapore), no doctors (so far the few i had met) mentioned about burning T4 only.

To SOlVENIC: your fren who has T4 cut, is he also suffering from palmer HH?

slovenec

Post by slovenec »

Yes, we both had ETS for palmar HH. His was not as bad as mine.

sweatpalmer

Post by sweatpalmer »

Checked wih the doc (one who suggested T3), and asked about T4. he says T4 might not be effective for palmer hydrosis (sweaty palms). hence he still recommned T3.

I had decided to go ahead with the op.
Wish me Luck!

slovenec

Post by slovenec »

I just had ELS in Merano and talked to dr. Tarfusser. He also told me that T4 is usually not enough to stop palmar HH permanently. T3 has to be clipped/cut. However, he found that the location of the T3 ganglion was on the 4th rib in most of his patients.

sweatpalmer

Post by sweatpalmer »

I just had my op done.

1st day- 3rd day
Surgical effects
groggy from GA, not much pain while lying down, only painful trying to get up. hands weak, able to lift hand elbow down, elbow above painful to lift. chest tight and warm sensation esp during deep breath.

HH effeects
hands no longer sweaty, thighs and back sweat occasionally, not excessively, but more frequently than before op.
face still have not experience sweating (yet! i hope)

slovenec

Post by slovenec »

Congratulations!
Who was your surgeon and what kind of surgery did you have (clipping, clamping, cutting T3)?

sweatpalmer

Post by sweatpalmer »

1 week into recovery
Hands able to accomplish daily task from 4th day on ( light weight only)
Aches start coming from back ( spine n shoulder blade) - never read this before
Chest still aches a little when coughing

Hh effects
Palms n feet totally no sweat ( totally loving it!)
Head able to sweat already but not before my chest/ tummy/ back starts sweating buckets
Definitely having cs on my chest/ tummy n back/ bought inner tees to wear under working shirts
(Hope its transient)
Totally fine in air-con room

Supposedly had my t3 burned/ op done by dr lee kheng hin/ glen e singapore

kaerinnn

Post by kaerinnn »

Hi
Im from singapore and i'm thinking of going under the knife to cure my sweaty palms, but i'm very concerned about all the side effects.
May i ask if you regretted going through this surgery? Is the side effects bad? since you mentioned that your chest/ tummy/ back starts sweating buckets.
Thanks!

sweatpalmer

Post by sweatpalmer »

So far no regrets.. Especially glad that my feet is also dry too!
I guess I'm mentally prepared for the side effect of compensatory sweating, hence I wasn't too taken back.
If you often stay in a cool environment, no issue. But once it gets hotter, you might sweat more easily in your body.
I now wear inner tee under my shirt to counter the side effects.

But doc say it might get better within 6 months. I hope he is right.

I highly recommend u to find a doctor who does t3. Based on my own research, most ppl regret not able to sweat above their neck, the uncomfortable feeling of hot in head n cool in the body. Also I believe compensatory sweating might be worse if both t2 & 3 r burned.

N so far out of the 3 doc I consulted, only 1 does only t3 procedure.

As of now, I highly recommend the op. I truly understand the miserable life suffering from sweaty palms, the awkwardness during social events. All the best fellow country mate!