what is the true meaning of CS after ets?

Starrski

what is the true meaning of CS after ets?

Post by Starrski »

Hi guys. Just a little short intro about myself first.

-Currently i'm 23

-Noticed that I started to suffer from hyperhidrosis at around 12 years old.

-Sweaty palms(normal intensity about 8/10, almost always triggers randomly/in air condition places, on a good day after rain very rarely palms would stay dry even in airconditioned places)

-Sweaty feet(normal intensity about 6/10, in extreme cases about 8/10 as well. Same with my palms, almost always triggers randomly/when im in an air conditioned place, chances of staying dry would be about the same as my palms)

-Sweaty armpits(recently started noticing them getting more intense, about 8/10, same as my palms and feet, almost always triggers randomly/when in air conditioned places. probably triggers at the same time when palms and feet sweat. although at times when my palms and feet sweat my armpits dont)

-Sweaty knee-pits(the area just behind your knees)(normal intensity would be about 6/10. occurrence percentage about 30%-40% out of all the times my palms, feet and armpits would sweat)

-Sweaty thighs and groin(normal intensity would be about 3-5/10, occurrence percentage about 20%-30% out of all the times the main areas would sweat)

Apart from all of the above mentioned, I have to add that I do perspire quite easily if it is rather humid. If I do something physically intensive such as running, normally my whole upper torso would perspire and depending on the intensity of the physical activity, if i were to say run 5 miles, the intensity of my perspiration would be about 10/10 whereby my shirt would be soaked and you could actually wring it dry. Only during intense activities then would my lower torso perspire about the same intensity as my upper. arms would be glistening with sweat during extremely intensive activites.

I tried doing iontophoresis with my homemade machine years ago and initial results were extremely favorable. However overtime even after maintenance treatments the sweat would come back.

Will be going for a consultation for ETS by the end of this month and i would just like to see the inputs of people who did the surgery with regards to compensatory sweating. From my research, I can see that generally the occurrence of compensatory sweating varies from people to people and the reviews on compensatory sweating is extremely mixed.

What i would like to find out is :

-By compensatory sweating, do you mean that certain areas of your body now sweat randomly as a replacement for your now dry palms.(by random i would be referring to the randomness of your sweaty palms(like mine), that seems to have a mind of their own and would just sweat whenever and wherever they would like to.)

OR

-By compensatory sweating, you mean that only when you are doing something physical, another part of your body would now sweat when it didnt used to sweat before the surgery. (for example, before surgery only palms and feet would sweat during physical activity. After surgery, when you exercise or run, now your thighs would sweat during physical activities as a replacement for the palms, when your thighs never did sweat before surgery)

Does your compensatory sweating only occur during physical activities whereby because of your now dry palms, the sweat would have to end up someplace else? Or because normally your palms and feet sweat randomly, after surgery since now the palms are dry, the same amount of sweat that used to be on your palms would have to end up somewhere else instead not due to physical activity.

I hope i made sense in this post.

Basically i would just like to know about your compensatory sweating and the reason for its occurrence be it randomly or due to physical activity.

Thanks for the help.

admin
Site Admin

Re: what is the true meaning of CS after ets?

Post by admin »

Hi starrski thanks for your great post.

I think that for most people, CS after ETS surgery mostly involves increased sweating in areas such as the chest and back that already sweat in the past before surgery. Its just that the level of sweating in those areas has now increased significantly.

For a few people, new areas can start sweating, but I do not know how most people can never sweat in parts of their bodies prior to ETS surgery. I mean if it is 100 degrees F, most people sweat throughout most of their body even if they have had no ETS surgery.

Starrski

Re: what is the true meaning of CS after ets?

Post by Starrski »

Hi admin thanks for the reply. Just a little update, about three weeks ago i went to a clinic at a private hospital for my first consultation. The doctor was recommended to me by another person on this forum who had his ETS done by him with pleasant results.

With regards to my first consultation for palmar hyperhidrosis, overall, the initial consultation was pleasant. The doctor appeared to be very very experienced in his field and shared his method for the procedure.

So anyways back to the update, initially my main fears were about whether the doctor was able to identify and cut the nerve properly as my main concern is how they actually differentiate T1 from T2 from T3, so on and so forth. So what i learnt was that the nerves are basically commonly found around certain ribcages. For example T1 can be found on the highest first ribcage etc. Then again, i might have recalled wrongly so i apologize if i present any false/incorrect information.

Well, this is probably the end of my journey with ETS for now as i'm starting uni in another country soon and i dont have the luxury of time to go with this surgery. I was hoping that i would be able to proceed with the surgery and start school as a new person but to my disappointment, the quoted price for the surgery was too expensive to even be considered for now. Based on the information the person recommended to me, his total cost initially was about 20 Grand but after subsidies and insurance, it was in the ballpark of 2 Grand if i recalled correctly. So because of the price he told me, it seemed extremely reasonable, which brought me to the first consultation(which cost about 150 dollars). I was quoted a price of 40 Grand and the doctor lowered it to 35 Grand after informing him that my insurance was unable to cover the costs. Then again, I got the information from my mom so she might have heard the price wrongly.

After finding out it was that expensive and realizing that it is almost impossible to proceed with the surgery, i lost hope and got so disappointed, so i couldnt be bothered to find out the real price myself. The doctor did mention about cutting costs in the areas of having the surgery done at a government hospital, not needing to have spare blood just incase(he mentioned that he has done over 4thousand operations and not one of the operations needed the spare blood so he recommended that blood wouldnt be necessary which could help cutting costs). I guess i sorta gave up on the surgery for now.

As for my quest to become a person without sweaty palms, im sad to say that it'll have to be paused for now.

Basically, what i'll be trying next : aluminum chloride anti perspirants (which i have very little hopes for)
And if it doesnt work, i'll be trying : another branded aluminum chloride anti perspirant.
if not : i'll be considering getting an iontophoresis machine as i've had a pretty decent result with my DIY-homemade machine.
as for ETS, i might be considering going to a government hospital to have it done as i've found that quite a number of people got it done at extremely reasonable prices ranging about 1 to 2 grand. but i guess that would be my final resort after giving the few alternatives mentioned above another shot.

Im sorry for this long post and the apparently out of topic sharing as im aware that this is meant to be about ETS and post ETS issues, but i wasnt able to find any outlets to share about iontophoresis and what not. I remember having a log for my iontophoresis treatment which i'd be happy to share here if im allowed to(im ashamed to say i did not really read the rules of this forum so im sorry if im breaking any)or if anyone's interested.

So i guess as for now, i'll have to live with my sweaty hands and feets.

Oh, i forgot to mention my sweaty armpits. A few days ago when i was stocking up on my first aid supplies, I happened to chance upon antiperspirants and i purchased one to try. I've only used it once so results might not be accurate but so far after my first use, my armpits exhibited about 5-10% intensity as compared to without using the roll ons. I judged the intensity only after removing my shirt when i got home to review the % of dampness that i can actually SEE on the armpit region. Do note that I might have perspired a little that night so my overall perspiration might be the cause of the armpit sweat, i need more time to review the results but as of now, the antiperspirant did it's job as stated on the label, offering 48 hours of protection. The next day, i noticed about 2-5% intensity when i got home in the evening which was around the deadline of 48 hours, very likely due to it wearing off.

Do note that normally, when i drive, the armpit region on my shirt would be really bad as if it's soaked through so i was able to more or less conclude after using it for the first time that it did work. On my third day since applying the roll on antiperspirant, did notice about 10% intensity this time.

Ok i guess that's all for now. again, i apologize for this really long and semi-out of topic update.