For anyone who had the ETS surgery...

sweatygirl

For anyone who had the ETS surgery...

Post by sweatygirl »

Hi!I had the Ets surgery and I regret it every single day! I have a LOT of compensatory sweat and it's awful :( for the people who had the surgery what do you use to eliminate or sweat less? do you use antiperspirants like drysol/driclor ? I know that using this could move the sweat to other parts but I just want to have a normal life, I don't want to stop sweating I want to sweat less, it's so embarrasing! :( do you thinks this could work? do you use medication? please help

JR31

Re: For anyone who had the ETS surgery...

Post by JR31 »

Hi. I know exactly how you feel, the side-effects really are terrible to cope with at times. :(

I've tried lots of things over the years. A long time ago I went down the medication route to try and reduce my compensatory sweating. These medications include Robinul (also known as Avert and glycopyrrolate), Ditropan, and others. I found some partial success with these for the CS (compensatory sweating), however the side-effects of these meds can be troublesome, e.g. they tend to cause generalised body dryness, so you can get things like dry eyes, dry / sore throat, and difficulty urinating. I therefore stopped them about six or seven years ago, and personally will never go back to them - the cost and side-effects just didn't seem worth it.

However, there are some good prescription-strength anti-perspirants out there. Again I've tried many, but have settled with Odaban. It's one of the few to use a spray (rather than roll-on) and I find this the easiest to use. The worst area of my body for CS is the back, so I use it for this area when I need it. I apply it with one or two sprays onto a cotton pad / cotton wool.

I've tried all kinds of other things over the years, to help reduce the CS and also to help heal / repair the severed nerves, but after recently spending probably close to £1000 on acupuncture and Chinese cupping (and not having seen any positive changes in terms of nerve regeneration) I think I've finally accepted that this is the way it always will be. Therefore I just try to live as healthily as possible. I do tai chi a few times a week at home. This is supposed to be great for all kinds of conditions, including nerve damage and circulation, and whilst doing it I've managed to lose about 20lbs (with the help of the gym and healthier eating and drinking too of course!), so it seems a win-win situation. :)
I also have a dry body brush as many times a week as possible. This was recommended in a health magazine years ago by a lady who had been through the operation and had the same side-effects that most of us probably do.
I also have a contrast shower daily (again, good for circulation supposedly), and eat chia seeds as omega-3 is recommended for many different conditions. I'm also soon going to start drinking a herbal tea containing many herbs inc fennel and ginger. Fennel was recommended by a fellow ETS patient on another site - he / she said it had really helped them in their hot country (Spain) to help their body cope with the weather. Also, ginger is again good for circulation I've read.

That's about it really. I also love meditative MP3's, self-help books etc to help with the low mood that I sometimes feel when struggling with the side-effects.

Best of luck with everything, and I hope this helps a little. :)

sweatygirl

Post by sweatygirl »

Thank you so much for your answer, I really apreciate it :)! I'm still adapting to my cs and sometimes I feel really down but my family and friends know about this and they're really supporting, I've heard in a lot of forums about Odaban , drysol, hydrosal gel and others antiperspirants and I have a question.. does it really helps with the sweating or reduce it significatly? I don't want to get my hopes up haha right now I'm wearing an undershirt to go to college and basically to go anywhere :shock: thank you :)

JR31

Post by JR31 »

Hi. Well I think over the last thirteen years I've tried the following of the prescription-strength anti-perspirants:

Driclor
Odaban
Anhydrol Forte
Sweat Stop
Maxim

That's all I can think of at the moment. With any of these I've only ever experienced maybe a 10%-20% reduction in CS for the worst area (lower back), but obviously in cold or mild conditions that can be helpful, and if you apply sparingly (say one or maximum two sprays on cotton wool / pad and then apply to the affected area) one spray will last a fair while, so it's quite good in terms of cost.
Unfortunately nothing else I've tried over the years has really helped, I've even tried the most commonly-linked herbs for excessive sweating like sage, but no noticeable improvement.
Therefore, out of the prescription-strength anti-perspirants I would recommend Odaban, but it's best to be positive and not expect any dramatic improvements, but if you see them then great obviously. :)

sweatygirl

Post by sweatygirl »

thank you so much!!

pyyppy

Post by pyyppy »

I have undergone the ETS for my sweaty palm recently 2 months back in Singapore.

Post – surgery after 2 months
- Ache continues for 2 months despite having painkiller
- Backache has existed since the day 1 of surgery (doctor could not explain why, thinking that it was sitting posture, but I never had any ache before the surgery)
- Happy that the palms are dry now
- Compensatory sweating occurred in my feets and calve of my legs. Not as bad as it is
- Normal sweating in face, neck, back and front chest

I still have the backache pain lingering on me for 2 months. I wonder if anyone can share with me if you have this backache condition after your ETS.