I had ETS 9 years ago today for Axillary Hyperhydrosis.

Geekgirl

I had ETS 9 years ago today for Axillary Hyperhydrosis.

Post by Geekgirl »

Every year, on this day I celebrate my new life.
Back on 1st Feb 2002 I had ETS in the UK for Axillary Hyperhidrosis.
I thought I'd would share my outcome because rarely, successful outcomes share their stories. You only hear the horrors.

Straight after the surgery my hands were very very dry, and I suffered a pneumothorax due to the lung deflation, but it went quickly and didnt need painkillers. Even with a 4hr drive from the hopsital to home!

Things havnt changed much over the 9 years, I sweat a very very small amount (not even as much as a "normal" person sweats, from my armpits still. But I can easily wear no antiperspirant, and no sweaty patches.

I do not sweat from my face unless eating something quite spicy or very very sweet.

I do not blush at all. Which has its advantages in public speaking!

My hands are very very dry. This is the worst side effect I have. I am constantly applying moisturiser, but I am happy.

In hot summer weather (we dont get much of that over here in UK) I do have compesatory seating on my back and groin, but again, for me its not a problem. I dont know how it is in real hot weather abroad as I have not been abroad since surgery!

Since surgery I have had 3 children (I am female), surgery caused no problems wiht pregnancy or birth (had 2 naturals and 1 c-section)

My feet are the same as pre-surgery. Not sweaty, but they do sweat.

I would do it all over again if I had to. I know at the time I was a bit of a guinea pig, I was used to train other surgeons in the procedure, but I dont mind!

Every day I look at my scars (on left armpit they're in the armpit folds and can hardly see them, but my right scars are just below my armpit) I like showing my scars off, Im not embarrassed by them at all. They remind me of how awful my life was, and how life could have been had I not had surgery.

If theres anyhting I missed out and you'd like to know, just ask. :D

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

What a wonderful story! It shows that despite the side-effects of this surgery, people are still quite happy, and stay happy!

What's funny is, for you, the dry hands are a problem. For me, I wouldn't mind having armpit sweating, especially during exercise. I got the surgery for sweaty "DRIPPY" hands, and now I am so thankful for the dry hands.

Cheers!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is great that you had a successful outcome geekgirl. However, there are nowadays many less intensive surgical solutions to armpit sweating.On my main site, I list all the options on the page on armpit sweating.

I would recommend these less intensive surgeries over ETS if armpit sweating is your only or main problem. Read up about the latest Laser Sweat Ablation (LSA) procedure with Dr. Whitley. MiraDry, Dr. Nielsen's SDLA procedure and several doctors' retrodermal curettage procedures are all preferable to ETS if you only sweat from the armpits and not from the hands.

Geekgirl

Re: I had ETS 10 years ago today for Axillary Hyperhydrosis.

Post by Geekgirl »

Thought I would come back again and Say Hi again as today is my 10 year post ETS anniversary.
This year is the first year I had actually forgotton the date. :(
Reading around this forum, things really have moved on from 10 years ago. I will more than likely be visiting again many times over the next 10 years as my children grow up. My Oldest Son is almost 8 and showing signs of palmer and plantar hyperhidrosis. My 5 year old also showing plantar hyperhidrosis. I was hoping they would not inherit this from me, but at least they will not have to suffer in silence. I am open with them about my own hyperhidrosis and will support them in whatever they need. I hope they never need to go down the surgery route (even though mine was a success, surgery really is not a light or easy option).
Caroline
xx

Larysa183

Re: I had ETS 9 years ago today for Axillary Hyperhydrosis.

Post by Larysa183 »

I know it's not a major issue but when I read about your children inheriting your HH, I really hope my children do not inherit it. I know it may not be a big deal but mentally I suffered a lot of bullying because of my palmar HH. It may sound stupid but that's how some children are, they will pick on you for anything. I am so glad you no longer have the problem!

iDry

Re: I had ETS 9 years ago today for Axillary Hyperhydrosis.

Post by iDry »

Me and my 4 sibiling have Palmar Hyperhydrosis ... This disease is bad. Even though I am considering the Surgery, I am still thinking about ur children... Medicine has to find a solution for this thing .... WHY WHY WHY .... I cannot even imagine that we are unlucky enough to be part of the 2% population that have this problem ... Wow ...