Question about post ETS surgery, Please help.

Max10

Question about post ETS surgery, Please help.

Post by Max10 »

Hello,

I've been suffering from HH(hands/feet) for the past 12 years, and it's gotten to a point where I am just way to frustrated with it. Sweating is constantly on my mind every day. I avoid situations where i have to shake hands or expose my feet. I have been using Drysol for the past 5 years with very little to no improvment.

Lately I have really been considering ETS, as I cannot see my self continuing life this way. Before getting ETS I am going to try botox as I am hesitant with undergoing surgery after reading so many horror stories.

I do have a couple questions for those who have gone the route of ETS.

1. Are you able to exercise at the same intensity as you did prior to having ETS?

- The reason I ask this is because I play football competitvely and wish to continue playing at the same level.

2. Did getting ETS for Hand sweating help eliminate your foot sweating as well?

3. Have you noticed any change in your response to fear, anxiety or any other emotions connected with the nerves which were cut?

4. how long has it been since you have got ETS done? and what are your post conditions?

5. Do you regret it?

if you could answer these questions that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Max

lrn

Post by lrn »

Hi, From my experience, I wouldn't advise having the procedure. I went ahead because I was told if it didn't work out for me it could be reversed (read my post on 11 Feb - Tell Your Story). In answer to your questions:
1 & 2. Yes, I still exercise at the same intensity, but I wear darker gym clothes to hide the sweating. If you have ETS, in all likelihood, your hands will become totally dry. This will be detrimental to your ball handling in football, and your feet will probably sweat more.
3. I had no change in my response to fear, anxiety or other emotions.
4. Re when ETS was done and post op conditions, please read above mentioned post.
5. Yes, I do regret it.

mia

Post by mia »

1. No
2. Yes, it also affected the feet, (for about 5 months) but please stop for a minute and think about what what it means: There is no reason why upper thoracic sympathectomy should affect sweating of the feet, as there is no anatomical relevance. Yet, clearly it happens in 30-60% of cases. This very likely means that this surgery has an effect on the spinal cord itself (reorganization) and this fact may well be the reason why all those 'weird' symptoms occur and are reported by so many.
There is no excuse why so many ETS surgeons simply think of his as another selling point.
3. Yes
4. 4 years, Too many to list here
5. Absolutely!

mallory elise

Re: Question about post ETS surgery, Please help.

Post by mallory elise »

I recommend you do it 100%. If people say they regret it then they didn't have it bad enough. if you are misserable, it is worth it. I had the ETS procedure done in 2004, since then there have been meany advances, but it has been 7 years and i am still happy with the result of my hands. it is as if i didn't even have dripping hands for the first 17 years of my life. Like i said, the ETS surgery is more advanced now and i dont think they even deflate the lungs any more. You will play sports just fine afterward. I am a marathon runner and the only difference is that i am not leaving a drip line behind me.

For me the feet did not work. At first i thought it got better, but now i actually think it has gotten worse. I live in a hot country now (brazil) so it agrivates it a lot. I did earn compensatory sweating on my back, legs and chest, but i prefer that than dripping hands. My feet are to the point where i am ready to go for another treatment. before ETS of course i tried every product including powders, creams and the electro shock deal. And of course nothing worked. I am considering botox for the feet though i am concerned about the price and the short 6 months of relief. My insurance in the US covered ETS but my insurance in Brazil doesn't cover the botox.

if you are to the point where you are seriously considering ETS, please do it and don't question any minor after effects. You will live a different life, take the chance and good luck.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about post ETS surgery, Please help.

Post by admin »

Please also post your stories in the "Tell Your Story" subforum in more detail as it seems like post-ETS patients participate in this subforum and ignore that more important one.

Here is the link:

http://www.no-ets.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=27