Hyperhidrosis in patients with amalgam (mercury) in teeth

admin
Site Admin

Hyperhidrosis in patients with amalgam (mercury) in teeth

Post by admin »

I vaguely recall reading something about mercury exposure and hyperhidrosis in the past, but forgot about the subject till I saw this written by a doctor today:

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6800/rr/694216

In case that link gets deleted, I am pasting its contents here:

Management of hyperhidrosis 13 April 2014

Hyperhidrosis in patients with amalgam in their teeth.

Fredrik Berglund, MD, PhD.
Solvägen 8A, 192 60 Sollentuna, Sweden
fred.berglund@swipnet.se

In a recent clinical review of hyperhidrosis, sympathectomy and botulin toxin were recommended. A serious drawback of sympathectomy is the occurrence of compensatory hyperhidrosis in areas of the body not previously affected. Botulin toxin has to be given at least twice a year.

Recently I made a search for svett (Swedish for sweat) among 880 amalgam patients seen over a period of 20 years. Hyperhidrosis was not the main complaint, although incapacitating for some. After complete removal of dental amalgam 51 patients were markedly improved or completely free of hyperhidrosis. Several patients mentioned sweating of various causes (endocrine, fevers), but hardly of type hyper-hydrosis. Seven patients, including one dental assistant, reported inability to sweat, that was normalized after amalgam removal.

Mercury is continuously released from amalgam. A number of papers report on hyperhidrosis caused by the industrial use of mercury and in children playng with mercury (2). From the year 2009 the use of mercury is banned in Sweden. But more than half of the Swedish population still carry dental amalgam. The medical profession should pay attention to the presence of amalgam in the teeth!

References
1. Benson RA. Diagnosis and management of hyperhidrosis. BMJ 2013;347:f6800.
2. Shih H, Gartner JC. Weight loss, hypertension, weakness, and limb pain in an 11- year old boy. J Pediatr 2001;138:566-9.

superyou

Re: Hyperhidrosis in patients with amalgam (mercury) in teet

Post by superyou »

That is very interesting, thanks.