Getting a prescription for glycopyyrronium solution

x3samdan

Getting a prescription for glycopyyrronium solution

Post by x3samdan »

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me. I'm currently attending a hospital for iontophoresis sessions after being referred by my GP a few years ago. I have now enquired about getting my own machine for use at home. At the hospital they use a solution of glycopyyrronium and water to treat my hands which I have found effective and wish to use this solution at home instead of just tap water. Has anyone had experience of being prescribed this solution for use at home with a iontophoresis machine as I have been told by my GP the 'Clinical Commissioning Group' that deal with it have refused as it comes in powder form apparently and is unsafe for mixing at home by patients.

Would be great if anyone has any info on this as I find it such a struggle going back and forth between my GP and hospital trying to get somewhere, thanks!

superyou

Re: Getting a prescription for glycopyyrronium solution

Post by superyou »

Does tap water alone not work?

x3samdan

Post by x3samdan »

I haven't tried just tap water alone. I didn't want to spend £500+ on a machine to find out tap water doesn't work for me if I can't get the prescription.
At the hospital they've always used the solution with water and even if I asked them to just try water, they use their own supply of medical bottled water I think so may even have a different effect to my tap water at home.

superyou

Post by superyou »

I'm guessing their "medical bottled water" would be no different than regular bottled or distilled water.

Why not ask them to use tap water, telling them the concerns you've expressed here?

Something others have done is to get Robinul tablets (glycopyrrolate, same as glycopyrronium) and crush them into the water they use. Maybe you could get a prescription for these? But I would try the tap water first.

pinker1

Post by pinker1 »

Hey

I used to receive glycopyrronium bromide 0.05% solution (glycoyrrolate solution) on prescription. It was made by a company in the UK called Nova Laboratories and came in bottles ready to pour into my iontophoresis trays. It wasn't in powder form as it was made to order by the company (they do offer it in power form though, and creams). My advice would be to speak with your doctor and ask them to phone Nova Laboratories.

It was ordered by my doctor to collect from my local pharmacy.

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages ... %20bromide

http://www.sweathelp.org/pdf/Kavanagh_topical_glyco.pdf