Options for people in the UK

pinker1

Options for people in the UK

Post by pinker1 »

I thought I'd post a brief list of everything I have tried (so far) for hyperhidrosis so that people know what is available.

Driclor (20% Aluminium Chloride) - I still use this to date on my underarms. Never worked on my hands and feet.
Iontophoresis - I've been using the idrostar machine since 2006. I was able to get a VAT reduction by purchasing it through the NHS after having treatment.
Probanthine tablets - never really worked but gave me a very dry throat / eyes / nasal passage
Robinul tablets 1/2mg - recently started on these. Side effects are more tolerable than probanthine
Beta Blockers - Never worked, just made me very tired
Botox injections - I had these on my hands and feet. Didn't work for me but may work for others.
Glycopyrrolate solution 0.05% - very effective for hand and foot sweating (you apply it via iontiohoresis). Has to be made by a private company.
Glycopyrrolate cream 0.5% - 3% - Never worked on my hands and feet but may work elsewhere. Also known as 'secure wipes' on pharmacy.ca
Sage tea / other herbal things - never did anything!
Underarm surgery options / curretage - I've never tried these.
Miradry - there are practicioners in Birmingham, Cardiff and London. Hopefully in the future it can be applied to the hands and feet.

cotrina

Re: Options for people in the UK

Post by cotrina »

Could you please tell me if Robinul/Avert require a medical prescription in the UK? Any UK WWW where it can be purchased online? Thanks

pinker1

Re: Options for people in the UK

Post by pinker1 »

Hi there

Robinul requires a prescription from a dermatologist. It can't be prescribed in general practice. The process of getting the prescription is straightforward, I had to wait about 2 months to see a dermatologist, and then I see them every 3 months to get a new prescription.

Avert can be bought online.. Last time I checked it could be purchased from pharmacy.ca. It will be much cheaper to get Robinul on prescription though, i receive 45 2mg tablets which I split in half... so an £8 prescription lasts around 3 months.