Percutaneous radiofrequency for HH

cotrina

Percutaneous radiofrequency for HH

Post by cotrina »

Hi,

Just a couple of queries about HH treatments:

1. Has any of you tried percutaneous radiofrequency instead of having ETS?

2. Any experience of a fellow sufferer of combined HH and high blood pressure?

Regards,

Jose

slovenec

Re: Percutaneous radiofrequency for HH

Post by slovenec »

1. I had a classical (surgical) ETS, so I cannot give you a good answer. However, from what I read, this method does not seem to be as accurate and as precise as the endoscopic method. This may cause many troubles similar to the side effects of chemical sympathectomy which causes random damage to the surrounding tissue and at the same time it often doesn't destroy the ganglion completely.
2. I had border line high blood pressure before ETS (it was usually 140/100 - I was 25 at that time and very fit) and very strange ECG results (long QT+several other problems). The doctors told me that the results were not troubling because I was able to live a very healthy life with a lot of intense exercise. ETS (T2) sorted out most of the problems. My blood pressure dropped to 135/80 and it is still the same 17 years post ETS. My heart rate dropped to 48-55 resting, but I can still reach 180 bpm while I exercise. ECG remained strange (right block+several other problems), but my doctor says that I shouldn't worry about it. The fact that I am able to run 15 km every day without problems somehow shows that I am "just wired differently".

cotrina

Post by cotrina »

Thank you very much for your reply. Actually, I've been suffering from HH for almost 30 years and started taking medication for high blood pressure. Strangely, I never talked to my cardiologist about my HH problem (in my case hereditary) and thus we never discuss about teh relation that my sympathetic nervous system might be having on my high blood pressure. This is something that I think now (I guess it's never too late) ought to be known by my physician in order the medication needs to be adjusted. I have always felt that my blood pressure problem could have some genetic origin and I was really overweight when I started taking medication about 10 years ago, but the nature of my nervous system could be playing a role too.

With regards to the percutaneous radiofrequency, can you recommend me some literature, websites or testimonies of patients who might have had this procedure?

Much appreciated

Jose

slovenec

Post by slovenec »

I am lucky to have a free access to most articles listed in PubMed. I am sorry that I cannot remember the titles of those about perc. rad. In most cases the articles which study perc. rad. are rather useless because they favour this procedure. I remember the notions of negative side effects from other articles, usually from the articles which favour surgical ETS. Several possible side-effects of chemical sympathectomy and perc. rad. are listed, some of them really horrible. The real problem is that even with a accurate/state of the art combination of X-ray/MRI/radiofrequency machines it is impossible to limit the damage to ganglion only. This is only possible if you get inside the body and use very precise methods. Even the first surgical methods did some damage to T1 and the neighbouring tissue by the unwanted spread of thermal energy.

cotrina

Post by cotrina »

Thanks a lot Slovenec. If you happened to remember or find anything about the percutaneous readiofrequency could you please let me know? My email address is JACotrina@yahoo.es. I have been suffering generalised (all over except in hands and very little in feet but quite aggressive on the craneo-facial area, chest, back etc) HH for about 30 years. I have tried several anticholinergics for about a year and half without much success. The problem is that I've been living in Thailand for about 10 years and this tropical weather has affected dramatically the quality of my life. I have seen two thoracic surgeons both in Thailand and Spain but i haven't made up my mind yet to have ETC, PR etc. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Regards.