Update on my battle with palmar hyperhidrosis

steve_nf

Update on my battle with palmar hyperhidrosis

Post by steve_nf »

Hi all, so awhile back I wrote this http://www.no-ets.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=187

I'm now 17 and I can say things have got a lot better. I have a good grasp on how the sweating works in my body, and feel like I have much more control over it than before. Like I said I've tried a lot of aluminum chloride based topical antiperspirants on my hands but they work to no avail.

I became a little depressed and laid off on trying to treat it for awhile. I looked into iontophoresis but all the machines were very expensive and my parents thought it was ridiculous...

Then a little while longer I found the homemade machine procedure on youtube. My treatments with the machine were very painful and after 12 or so I began to give up. Not only the pain but very inconveniently time-consuming (took like 1 hour to do each day, including the preparations and cleaning). Also, after 12 days it still didn't completely stop the sweating (I also used baking soda in each treatment); it just dried the middle of my hand and left the fingers completely unaffected. So I became depressed for a lot longer...

When my mind got straight again I did my tradition of research into hyperhidrosis and discovered a cream called Dehydral which contains methanamine and not aluminum chloride. My parents and I ordered it and it is what I'm currently using. It works a lot better than aluminum chloride antiperspirants and iontophoresis because the cream dried my fingers halfway as well as the middle of my hand. Though still not satisfied, I'm handling my hyperhidrosis better than I have before.

Other treatments I've been looking into to possibly cure my palmar HH:
  • Treatment with commercial iontophoresis machines
    Botox for palmar hh
    ETS surgery
I've been seriously considering ETS surgery lately. It seems to have been greatly improved over the years (with the Lin-Telaranta classification and all). Along with picking a surgeon from the surgeon rankings list, I think it would be appropriate to consider it. My parents aren't very supportive of the surgery yet, but they have agreed to take me to a neurologist who's done Botox for hyperhidrosis. The thing is our insurance doesn't cover it so if it happens that I will need it every 2-3 months, then that would not be very cost-effective.

Please reply with comments if you have any; I'd love to read them <3 :)

Bambi

Post by Bambi »

Hello! How long did it take you to make the homemade machine? Did you ever try Drionic? I am looking forward to hearing from you and what you decide!

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

Bambi wrote:Hello! How long did it take you to make the homemade machine? Did you ever try Drionic? I am looking forward to hearing from you and what you decide!
Hi, it took me just a trip to Walmart to get all the supplies and in no time I was able to set it up. Never have I tried Drionic, and I don't plan to; I will probably instead buy a better quality iontophoresis machine like the R.A. Fischer or a Hidrex.

What type of hyperhidrosis do you have? Are you planning to try iontophoresis?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey Steve, I am surprised Dehydral gave you results. I tried it for briefly on my feet some years ago, but didn't see results (although I do get impatient with those types of treatments and do not do the whole sarin wrap at night thing).

Someone I met at a Botox gathering recently got great results from Botox injections on her hands that lasted for over one year. I have had good results on my feet too.

Check out the Botox subforums on these forums if you haven't already as well as my testimonial on the main site.

Good luck and keep me posted if you do get surgery.

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

Hey guys, I just want to say I would like to dedicate this topic to be like a journal in my battle against hyperhidrosis. It's currently a really big thing in my life right now and I feel like this time I have a great opportunity to cure it. Not to mention, this forum is my favorite hyperhidrosis forum :D. From now on, I will reply here a lot.

So, for a little note: Throughout this week I'm going to try and convince my parents to buy me an iontophoresis machine. I read about "administrator's" experience with Hidrex and Idromed and turned really excited when I saw it treated his plantar hyperhidrosis with much success. I'm eager to give ionto another shot, and hopefully sustain my excitement long enough to take good care in doing it each time. I'll let y'all know if I get one! (and hopefully it'll be the Idromed)!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great. I look forward to hearing about your results Steve. If possible, buy the machine via clicking on the banner ads on the bottom of my Hidrex or Idromed pages on my main site (no-ets.com).

(I get commission, but that does not affect my review of the machine in any way and I always recommend trying the homemade machine first if you can't afford Idromed).

PS -- > If your insurance does not cover Botox, try attending the conference next year where you get it free.
Last edited by admin on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

Hey "administrator", my parents bought me the Idromed 5 PC machine!! It was through the website you said iontophoresis-device.com.

I can't wait until it comes! Though, there's one thing I'm a little nervous about: the fact that I'm putting my hands and feet into pales of water that are connected to the wall outlet. I'll get through it though, lol.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great! I am excited for you Steve, especially since you are so young.

I was somewhat nervous about electrocuting myself too (read my HIDREX testimonial page on the main website), especially since no-one in the US had used that machine before me.
Last edited by admin on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

The Idromed arrived yesterday, and I tried it out. It's much less painful than the homemade machine. Also it really doesn't feel like it's an inconvenience; you don't really mind it, unlike the homemade machine. Also, once I have a good routine in place, the already small inconvenience would become negligible.

I'm going to just do my hands for now, since it's too much of a hassle doing my feet too with just 1 tray pair. If it works I'll order another tray so I can treat them simultaneously.

There's one thing I have to say though: The plug is freaking enormous! I have never seen such a bulky plug go into an outlet, lol.

EDIT: Just realized I can do my hands and feet simultaneously with just the 2 trays. Also, I'm wearing a pair of wet socks while doing the treatments because according to iontophoresis-device's forum it's more effective with less water, and I sweat up to my ankles. For my hands, same thing, just am using cotton gloves, with the top part cut out. As of today am using 25 mA. Currently the only problem is, it feels uncomfortable having to hold your arms up for 15mins. I'll try and find an inclined ramp or something to rest my arms on. Anyways, I'll continue with this set-up everyday till I see cessation of sweating.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey Steve, any updates? I am hoping you had success :-)

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

No :(

It's really depressing. With school it's so hard trying to get this whole thing started. I'd dread to deal with sweaty hands during the 10+ days for the iontophoresis to kick in.

And, when I come home from school, I just want to "shut down" from the whole day and the accumulated stress. I just become so relieved that the day is over I don't care about my hh.

I tried the Idromed for the first couple weeks, but that was to just get situated with it.

I have to wait for a school break to begin with serious therapies. The good thing is though, I have a lot of time to play around with. I'm just taking the days one at a time...

Also, hyperhidrosis and my battle with it has got me intrigued about the medical field :)

Thank you for your commenting though, it's appreciated :)

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

Thinking about trying Robinul. I have hyperhidrosis all over.

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

Trying to get a prescription for Robinul. 1 doctor already denied it. Unless Robinul eliminates the hand sweating with bearable side-effects, I am going to get the surgery. My parents are supporting me as they see me struggle with my life everyday, which is a huge blessing. Insurance requires A) a topical antiperspirant, B) iontophoresis therapies, and C) anticholingeric medication for them to cover the procedure. My mom called up the ETS surgeon, and the lady at the desk said you drive there and get a consultation, then stay in a motel for the night, and the next day have the surgery. This surgeon clips (puts clamps on) the T3 nerve for palmar hyperhidrosis, and adds the T4 for axillary hyperhidrosis if needed. I won't get the T4 clipped. She also is mailing us a packet with more information about surgery at this place.

I'll have to wait a couple months or so because our insurance needs a contract with them, which she said they're getting in January of 2011. In the meantime I'll get Robinul prescribed and try it out. I'll keep the Idromed machine for my feet and might do it soon to get rid of this annoying eczema; as for the hands, it's a real pain in the a$$ to get it going. Regardless, if everything goes accordingly, I'll hold the gift of DRY HANDS before my HS Prom and graduation :DDDDDDDDD
Last edited by steve_nf on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good luck Steve. I just added my Robinul treatment story on the main site by the way. Check it out. Who is your surgeon?

And wise choice in not getting T-4 clamped.
Last edited by admin on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

Well, got a prescription for Robinul. It seems like the surgery will be in mid-January; I just have to see when my parents can take off. I'll try out the Robinul during winter break.