How young to start treatment?

Synchromatic

How young to start treatment?

Post by Synchromatic »

This is my first post. Quick bit about myself. I suffered from hand and foot hyperhidrosis for the first 25 years of my life. I had the ETS surgery 12 years ago which cured the palmar problem, but it did leave me with substantial Compensatory Sweating. For a male, this isn't a huge problem for me, just change t-shirts regularly. I couldn't imagine this being a female.

That's where my problem is. I have two young daughters 2 and 6, and both obviously have the same problem. We have never mentioned it or brought attention to it but my 6 year old has started noticing her hands and it causes her small problems here and there. I do not want it to get to the point where it affect me in school (you guys know all the issues with wet paper etc...).

I've used Iontophesis on my feet and had great response. Has anyone used this on a child? How young? Does Iontopheresis tend to loose its affect over time. I'd hate to start during elementary age and only have it stop working in her teens. Advice?

Of course we'll see a dermatologist before we do anything, but as I'm sure you all know, many dermatologist know less about this problem than an average person on the street. :roll:

ysh

Post by ysh »

I suffer from HH too, and using ionto to keep it under control. I have two children and while I haven't seen any signs of HH yet, I am having the same thoughts when it comes to ionto. I wouldn't want my children to go through the same as I went through if there is a solution. I bought my machine from Germany (search for Hidrex on Google and I believe you will find it). Excellent support and I believe the owner use ionto himself, and at least one of his children as well. You could always ask there, and I believe that I read somewhere that it should not be a problem, just keep in mind to use a much lower current setting.

steve_nf

Post by steve_nf »

It's generally accepted that iontophoresis works on people of any age. However, I would definitely do more googling/researching before letting your kids do iontophoresis. It will always work, the amount of time using the machine doesn't matter. Definitely have them use the pulsed current machines, such as the Idromed 5 PS, and Hidrex PS, since they're less painful. Good luck :D