My success with Benztropine - What should concern me?

mjbrady

My success with Benztropine - What should concern me?

Post by mjbrady »

After many years of "putting up with" hyperhydrosis - the sweaty hands, feet, and particular face and scalp, at age 58 I started looking at solutions, even surgery. I went to my internist, then to my dermatologist and finally to my neurologist. My biggest problem was my hands, face and scalp. If I was at a social function, I would drip onto the table. Obviously this is not good at a buffet.
My Neurologist suggested I try a very low dose of an old medication, Benztropine, to see if it would help. It worked miracles and I have been very satisfied. I still have to keep my eyes out to control any fungal infections in the feet or groin. The only side effects I have noticed are 1) having to be careful not to get overheated and 2) getting chilled easily. I have to wear long sleeve shirts into clubs and restaurants to stay warm particularly in the summer when the AC is cranked up. What a change from when I could only tolerate short sleeves.
I have been taking this for over 4 years now. I see a lot of people pushing Botox and cautioning against the long term effects of oral meds. The cost of Botox is very high when the face and scalp is involved.
My question: Does anyone know what these long-term effects of benztropine use might be and how long is "long term"?
Thanks

wannabedry66

Re: My success with Benztropine - What should concern me?

Post by wannabedry66 »

hi can you elaborate a bit more? are you saying the benzotropine has completely dried up your hands face and feet?? if so thats a major breakthrough! is it the same as robinul and ditropan though where if you dont have a completely empty stomach then the pills are utterly useless ? or are these different? sorry I cant comment on the longterm affects, Im interested in trying this maybe, Im suffering from extreme compensatory sweating post ets. My ets was 10 years ago. glad you are having success. any dizziness or fatigue from this??

mjbrady

Post by mjbrady »

wannabedry66 wrote:hi can you elaborate a bit more? are you saying the benzotropine has completely dried up your hands face and feet?? if so thats a major breakthrough! is it the same as robinul and ditropan though where if you dont have a completely empty stomach then the pills are utterly useless ? or are these different? sorry I cant comment on the longterm affects, Im interested in trying this maybe, Im suffering from extreme compensatory sweating post ets. My ets was 10 years ago. glad you are having success. any dizziness or fatigue from this??
I am sorry it took me so long to log back in and see your post. Yes the Benztropine (2mg) at night has almost completely eradicated my sweat symptoms. Feet are still a minor problem. Facial blushing still occurs. But for me to go to a Mexican restaurant here in Texas and eat without soaking three napkins wiping my head is great. I did have to build up slowly as my neurologist didnt want me to take any more than I needed to. When I work outside in hot weather I do have to be much more careful to keep from getting overheated. Other than that, I am not aware of any other side effects.

mar123

Post by mar123 »

MJ can you tell us how long the affects of the pills last? do they last all day if you take it at night? please share with us :(