Had ETS 4 years ago / email me with questions

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
scaldud

Had ETS 4 years ago / email me with questions

Post by scaldud »

Hi, I posted on a few other forums and recently was asked to share my experience here. I had ETS about 4 years ago at the age of 23. Prior to the surgery I had extreme sweating in my face and hands. It made it nearly impossible for me to carry on my daily life. I would start to sweat heavily from my face when trying to give presentations, go on dates, or just hanging out with friends. My sweaty hands made it difficult to shake peoples hands in public, at church, or at work. The surgery has helped me tremendously. Since having the surgery I no longer sweat from my hands or face at all. But I have experienced several side effects. I now sweat heavily in other areas that didn't sweat before which is known as compensatory sweating. I experience this on my back, legs, chest, and trunk.. Consequently, I always have to be aware of my environment, i have to know what to wear to ensure I don't sweat through my clothes. For instance, I can never wear just a cotton t-shirt. I usually wear heavier fabrics and an undershirt to make sure it doesnt show when i start to sweat. Other side effects ive experienced is a slight decreased strength in my hands. I also have to be aware of the food i eat, I can no longer eat foods rich in sugar (desserts) or very spicy foods when out in public because it will cause me to sweat heavily on my forehead. Given all of the side effects the surgery has still helped me greatly. With that said I would only recommend the surgery as a last resource for very EXTREME cases. I would encourage anyone considering the surgery to seriously consider the side effects because chances are you will experience them and you will have to live with them forever because it is non-reversible! If I can help further or if you have questions please email me SCALDUD@AOL.COM. I will reply to ALL emails!