Facial blushing and flushing

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
Gynther65

Facial blushing and flushing

Post by Gynther65 »

I Had ETS surgery in 2006 for severe facial blushing and flushing and facial pyrexia ( Burning ). I was about 43 at the time and had grown sick and tired of a life of constant embarrasement. People would notice and comment. I could not perform any public speaking as I would go bright red and my heart rate would treble. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest and sometimes people would comment that they could hear it. I would often have a jolting type action while sleeping which would wake me up. I developed an insular life style. I had lots of friends from school and university because when I spend more time with people I would relax around them and finally they would not be a social threat to my sympathetic nervous system. However I always avoided social and formal functions and sporting events for the fear of having to converse with new people.
The only way I could speak publicaly was to take about 35 mgs of diazepam ( Valium ) which is a lot. This would abate my symptoms just enough to get by.

Following the ETS surgery, My face felt cool, my hands dry but not too dry and i could not blush if I tried. I was elated. However there's always a downside to everything .Remember the old for every 'action there is an equal and opposite reaction".
After my first shower, I noticed that my previously oily thick hair had gone as dry as straw. and and hands were super dry. Over the next 6 months my hair fell out in a crescent shaped pattern such that my hair line ran from just behind my ear over my head to the rear of the other ear. Side burns etc all gone..
Instead of shaving daily, I now shave about once every 10 to 14 days.Also, the hair on the back of my hands and lower forearms fell out. Soon after the hair loss started I went to a dermatologist who diagnosed Licen Pilanopilaris or scarring alopecia of the frontal hair line. Frontal fibrosing alopecia. We suspect this was caused by a loss of protective sebaceous secretions from the skin of my head following the sympathectomy. This has settled down but the hair loss seems permanent. Wearing a hat protects my hair and keeps it healthier. It gets terribly dry in the sun. Interstingly, the skin on my lower legs which was previously very dry is now normal following ETS
I Have to put sorbolene or Barrier cream on my face and hands and neck regularily or I feel like a potato chip!
I work outdoors in a hot enviroment.The compenstory sweating is profuse and I sometimes find my self soaked from armpits to toes.Please not that I am overweight which does not help. I cannot imagine how I would deal with this if I worked in an office enviroment as anxiety makes me sweat also( Profusly).

You need to realise that a lot of this sweat ends up in your groin ,lower back and buttocks etc, etc, which can be unpleasant and embarrasing if your sitting in a vinyl barbers chair ( dont ask )

How do I manage all this

I wear dark poly cotton or dark nylon overals or shirts (Dark Blue is best), Change as required and you need to apply deoderant more often. I apply sorbolene or barrier cream twice a day or more often as required to my face and hands and neck. I dont mind not shaving.I Wear a hat or cap in the sun and I now take antidepressants for anxiety which helps a treat but is not vital. Unfortunately, I still flush in hot rooms or after drinking alcohol, especially wine. This is severe and onset is rapid. My face feels red hot but does not always look as red as it feels. Absolutely no blushing though. I often feel like the coolest person in the room which I prefer.

Would I Have ETS surgery again. Absolutely!, Its given me back a social life and I can stand my ground in any conversation . Even if I feel flushed I do not get embarrased by it .I am about 500 times more confident. I Have learnt to deal with the side effects. The compesatory sweating diminshes over time but not totaly.
Also I cannot get my heart rate over 134 so its not for athletes.When I am Embarresed I do not blush so I am super happy about that.

I am considering a hair transplant for the hair loss and laser resurfacing on my face which may stop the flushing.

Comment. If you love your hair and you dont like sweating dont do it. Also If your an athlete i'd think twice