it's all I can think about

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
golfer

it's all I can think about

Post by golfer »

Hi guys, I'm 22 and my hands and feet sweating is all i can think about. it consumes my thoughts many times a day. I'm a senior in college and have taken so many science classes, I just can't fathom how bad my (all of yours too) luck is that we have been damned with this dreadful condition. why couldn't we all just have normal hands like everyone else? I ponder when i'm in the library waiting for my hands to stop sweating so bad, how awesome it must be to have normal hands and to not have to worry about this one thing so often. to just go about your day and only ahve to worry about the normal things people worry about.

I've always been told that i'm very good looking/fun to be around (i'm a very social and outgoing person) but my confidence has always been low because of how sweaty my hands are. i don't even care about the sweaty feet, but no one knows how hard it is to talk to a girl when your hands are sweating. i have to hide them so they can't see the sweat dripping off of them. and if they put their hand out to shake, i can always see the look on their face of disgust and they politely try to hide it. Occasionally they even ask why my hands are so wet in a mean sort of way. it really just makes it worse.

I love drinking alcohol, because it's fun and also because i found it works great to keep my hands from sweating. so much so i've become a borderline alcoholic (i easily drink 30+ beers a week) and it's much more when i'm on vacation from school. I only do it socially though (I have a lot of friends and we party/go out a lot).

I've tried so many treatments. some pills gave me such bad dry mouth i got cavities and they made my eyes terribly dry. I've tried drysol which permanently dried up my arm pits (they used to sweat too) but made my hands even worse. I wanted to try the iontophoresis machine for a while but it's a lot of money. My parents didn't want to pay for it because they didn't understand how bad of a condition this actually is.

I talked to my dad about it on the phone and told him how hard it is to talk to girls and he really empathized with me there. he knows i have tons of potential because he sees me with pretty girls all the time but i rarely pull them because i'm scared my hands will sweat. i also explained to both my parents how bad it is with this example: "you know when you touch something that is supposed to be dry and it's wet, like a doornob and you're instantly grossed out and perplexed, like ewww why is that wet? yeah, that's what it's like every time someone touches my hands". that hit deep for them. I also told my mom that part of the reason i drink so much is because it helps my hands. with those few reasons, my parents got on board to buy me the ionto machine.

i've probably had 9-10 treatments, and it sort of helps. it's not cured, but i had 1 day where i did not sweat once and i don't think that has ever happened. i also managed to have a couple nights out where my hands didn't sweat which was cool, but other times they sweat more than they did without the machine. i'm going to keep going, and i can only dream of how happy i will be if i can have dry hands. If i find success, i'll definitely come back and share how i used my ionto machine for success because my hands and feet are awful, i like to think they're worse than everyone elses (lol). so if it works for me it should work for anyone.

good luck everyone, we're not the only ones.

superyou

Re: it's all I can think about

Post by superyou »

Which iontophoresis machine are you using?

I personally have had complete success using the Fischer machine. Search my posts for my complete report on this. I don't consider it expensive for the quality-of-life change it has given me.

-Robert

golfer

Post by golfer »

I'm using the RA fischer model too.

I use it every 2 days (I have not been missing any treatments) and i usually set the current between 14-17 mA, depending on how bad it hurts.

I sweat on my hands and feet, not just feet. I think this makes it more difficult to remedy. I'm going to keep using it for this month but if no success, I will have to return it. I will then have exhausted every possible treatment form that i'm willing to do and I'll just have to live with it knowing I tried and that it is just meant to be.

superyou

Post by superyou »

You say you've seen some improvement so stick with it! Having to do both hands and feet means you have to spend a little longer with the treatments than I do. I know it's a pain but it's worth it when it works. Follow the instructions and be patient (forgive me for saying this but people who complain about iontophoresis have often deviated from the instructions in trying to make it work faster). Good luck!