One down, one to go

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
Larnot

One down, one to go

Post by Larnot »

Hi, my name is Ed. I have suffered with HH most of my life, though I did not know what it was "back when". Even when I was a young man, serving in the military (and in very good physical condition) I would sweat at the drop of a hat, and quite profusely. My chest and up seemed to be the primary area of effect. Hands, of course but forehead, hair, underarms, back and everywhere up top.

Even so, I never knew there was a treatment for it and never looked for it. I just figured this was how I am. I love to give hugs and this condition makes that awkward at best, "gross" and uncomfortable for the recipient.

Over the past 10 years or so I have developed a heart problem (congestive heart failure caused by frequent and debilitating ventricular tachycardia). I had three heart ablations in a vain attempt to repair this issue (along with years of very strong and side-effect inducing medicines). Finally my cardiologist (same guy the entire time, a well respected physician in his field) at the Minneapolis VA suggested ETS to help correct the heart VT's. About 9 weeks ago they did the left side and in two days they will be doing the right side. Before I get sidetracked let me say that they only wanted to do one side at a time, partially to see if it would do the trick alone (it helped but didn't "fix" it) and partially because the surgeon said that recovery would be easier one side at a time. I am very thankful because of the latter. I am now (haven't always been) a big guy. Recovery was very, very painful (I have RDSD as well). For about 4 or 5 weeks it was excruciating, not getting any better from day to day (discouraging me from getting the other side done!). Then one day in the 5th week I woke up and it just wasn't as bad anymore, significantly so. After that healing was rapid.

Like I said, it has helped my heart a little, but now the VT's seem more intense on the right side (again, significantly so). Since I feel it helped the left side, and I now know the recovery is bearable I have decided to continue and have the right side done (two days from now). I did get the immediate droop and swelling of my left eye which is annoying. However, I must say that the "side-effect" of sweating cessation is remarkable. It is very odd (for now) I must say, sweating only on my right half of my head/body and more profusely than ever. I am very impressed with the left side results and would have the right side done whether my heart needed it or not just to help the HH. When you feel bad about hugging your wife, kids, grandkids or other family because you are soaked... well it made me feel ashamed, somehow. For now I can give left side hugs and hope soon to be able to give full-on embraces; to make love to my wife and not sweat all over.

I'll try to remember to come back and let you know if it helps my heart the rest of the way. So far, even as painful as recovery was it has been worth every minute of it.