Robinul worked for me! Please read this.

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
Marcianna

Robinul worked for me! Please read this.

Post by Marcianna »

I am not even certain how I found this forum but thank the universe that I did. I am a 60 year old female who for over 9 years has been suffering from sweating like nothing anyone has ever seen. This sweating starts at my head, normally around my hair line and then works its way up to the crown to where my head is totally covered and literally dripping down strands of hair causing my blouse to become soaked. My collars are always wet from the sweating and, aside from my head and face, my back, front, legs to my knees and back side are always wet as is the skin on my arms and tops of my hands. Where I never sweat is the palms of my hands, sole of my feet or even my arm pits. When I sit in a plastic or vinyl chair, when I get up, I leave a wet mark there from my skin and sweating through my clothes.

I want also to tell you how it is to grocery shop during this 9+ years. I shop every other week, nothing major, just for me and my 20-something daughter. When I am at the check out counter, if I do not have a debit card or credit card, I need to write a check. As I am writing my check, my hair is dripping on to the counter. Not a drop or two, but literally dripping non-stop and at times wetting my checks. This has caused me to shop less and less and therefore we order delivery. Can you imagine the expense as well as the weight gain over all these years. But I cannot go out in public with this terrible condition. To be honest, I am not sure I would want to be cleaning up a counter top after someone sweating all over it.

I am so embarrassed and this is daily, hourly, even when I am relaxed and calm. My pillows are soaked from my head. I do not want to lean back on my couch because I do not want my sweat all over it. In the middle of winter, I will sit out on the front porch trying to get cool. It does not cool me off. I sweat even more.

There is not a trigger that causes the sweating. It seems to be caused by just living. In 9 years I have lost friends because I would make plans to have dinner and then could not keep dry enough to get dressed or even be able to fix my hair. Once the sweating starts, I try to calm down and all that does is increase the sweating. I try to dry off, dry my hair, but you cannot dry something that is on like a watering hose. It reached the point where I was not longer invited out by friends because I would always have to beg off. If I did go out, I would begin sweating in the car and by the time I got to my destination, I was a mess, sweating mess from head to waist. My hair would be stuck to my head and dripping down the front of me. There were days I actually felt suicidal, though I KNOW I would never commit suicide. My life was so altered by this condition. I was more and more despondent to where I had nothing in my life any longer because I was too embarrassed by this situation. The younger readers may feel at 60 who cares...but let me tell you, I am not some rickety old lady, I am/was still very vibrant and attractive and 60 is 40 now so this was a big issue for me in my life.

I would begin to vacuum my living room and after about 4 strokes on the carpet, the sweating begins and it comes on strong. Within 5 minutes, it exhausts me. The sweating leaves me drained and I have to immediately sit and calm down. I have become inactive during these years and as a result I have gained quite a bit of weight, minimally 10 pounds a year and this has gone on for 9 years.

I had a meeting that was very important and by the time I arrived, I was dripping wet and the front of my peach colored shirt was soaked through as well. I was so humiliated I pretended that I was actually sick and on medication that was causing a very bad reaction. I went through a box of tissues wiping myself during this meeting. I never stopped dripping. It was embarrassing and humiliating.

I often mentioned this to my family doctor who just would look at me and shake his head. After about 9 years, I went to an Endocrinologist and she thought perhaps it had something to do with my being Insulin Resistant and I was put on Metformin, but still, no change.

Somehow I found this forum. Why it took me so long, I do not know but it mentioned this condition being called Hyperhidrosis and in order to have it checked, I would have to go to a Dermatologist. I never thought of a Dermatologist for this condition but I was willing to try anything. This forum also mentioned Robinul.

I made an appointment with a Dermatologist and was there for over 2 full hours. I was told they had not seen a situation quite like mine but after all the questions and looking up symptoms, I was prescribed Robinul, 1 mg twice a day. OMG!!!! I took the first pill the moment I got home from the appointment, 4:00 PM. I then took the second pill when I went to bed around midnight. The next morning and then that evening I took the next 2 pills, and I can actually say by evening I noticed a drastic improvement...drastic!

My appointment was Tuesday and by Thursday I was head sweat free...totally. I went out for a stage play and dinner and did not have one episode of sweating. I cannot believe in only two days I am no longer sweating.

Now, the only side effect I suffer is dry mouth and all I do to resolve it is drink water and suck lozenges.

2 mg is all it takes for me to have my life back. I would have never even found out how to deal with this were it not for these forums. I was always looking on the internet for excessive sweating but those sites only dealt with "normal" sweating and never pertained to Hyperhidrosis.

It is possible Robinul is not for everyone, but there are other similar drugs. Do not put up with this terrible condition one minute longer. I am so thrilled to have my life back. I will be exercising, cleaning and getting back to how I was 9 years ago when this began. I am not exaggerating my condition or how it affected my life, in fact, I have no doubt in my mind that if the few friends I have left, or my family members, read this, they would know immediately it was from me.

Thank you, thank you a million times over for the information contained in your forum. You truly did save me. I am so very appreciative.

TobyE

Re: Robinul worked for me! Please read this.

Post by TobyE »

I have difficulties finding a treatment that would help me deal with night sweating, and this sounds interesting. Hmm I never tried Robinul before, but I will consider it.

Thanks for sharing your story, I found it useful. :wink: