sharing my story and ETS

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
smileupsidedown

sharing my story and ETS

Post by smileupsidedown »

Here goes.

It was genetically passed on. She was born with it. It affected her hands, feet, body, head, wherever that skin was present. It made her feel second class. It made her demoralized, depressed, withdrawn and alone. She had no friends and no one to talk to. She did not even know how to interact or socialize.

She couldn’t :
write without shredding paper
play with anyone or anything as everything she touched turned murky , slimy and muddy
touch people or hold hands
walk without slipping
wear covered shoes without stinking
hold anything without dripping water
have meals without making puddles
walk without looking like she was caught in the rain
stand the smell of her sweaty stinky body, feet and armpits
stand people who implied her condition is a ‘small matter’ and ‘what’s a little bit of water and sweat?’
sleep without wetting the bedsheets
wake up feeling dry
do nothing without breaking out in sweat
see herself as a normal human being like everyone else
stand another day of being alive

She wished for God to have mercy, let her life be as short as can be. She tried every single remedy people recommended to attempt to cure her sweaty palms. Hands are the most important thing is her life. If she can use her hands to do things that normal people could, life would be different.

She went through her life like that until she was 22. All these years of crying and trying anything that people said worked for them and failing. She finally read about ETS surgery and was determined to get it done. She read of unhappy endings, regrets and compensatory sweating but she doesn’t feel it can possibly be worse her sweaty palm crisis. She went for consultation then the surgery. The doctor couldn’t believe she endured this all her life, he asked what took her so long to come forward to have the surgery. She was the worst case he had ever seen.

After ETS. The good was that her hands now no longer sweat unless it’s under sports condition. Bonus was that her head and neck stopped sweating as well. Her body and legs and feet sweat twice as much as before. But still, she had no regrets. She loved her new life and new found confidence. She would like to encourage other sufferers to consider the surgery risks and assess whether their condition. If your hyperhidrosis bad enough to warrant the feeling that the impending compensatory sweating at its worst form is bearable? If so, please proceed to ETS now. If you have doubts, then don’t go for it.

She wishes fellow sufferers good luck and a happy life ahead - sweaty or not. She knows that no one else will understand this condition unless they have it, the severe kind.

Her sweat, will never end.

admin
Site Admin

Re: sharing my story and ETS

Post by admin »

Very creative and effective post. Congratulations on your great outcome.

smileupsidedown

Thanks alot aby. It's alot of heartbreaking moments. By the way, now i'm 29. Been 7 years since my surgery and all is still okay for me. Body and legs and feet still watering but i can deal with it. i heard of people who get fainting spells after surgery. It really boils down to luck. I heard of doctors who help snip off more nerve so the underarms can stop sweating. It sounds heavenly too.

AllSweaty

Post by AllSweaty »

smileupsidedown thanks for sharing!

Do you know at what nerve leve did the surgeon work in surgery (T1,T2,T3,T4,T5?) and if he also cutted the kuntz nerve?

Thank you and best of luck

smileupsidedown

Hi allsweaty. Sorry i had no idea of these terms. Im from Singapore and my surgeon didn't tell me such specific information. He only said that he would snip the nerve that controls my palmar sweating. I had a total of 4 small 1cm incisions at both sides of my upper armpit near chest area.

AllSweaty

Post by AllSweaty »

That's :wink:

So after 7 years, your hands still dry?

smileupsidedown

For the first half year of the surgery, my hands were totally dry even under extreme conditions like sports.

Afterwards and till now, its' dry 95% of the time. 5% clammy wet due to heat or sports(at least not dripping kind). :D