Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
JR31

Post by JR31 »

Hi. Really glad to be part of the forum. :) I'm one of the UK ETS victims, having gone through ETS and lumbar sympathectomy between 1999-2001, and suffered many different side-effects since 2002. :cry:

Trying to work with the side-effects is unbelievably difficult to say the least, but I guess you just have to keep going eh. Having had the nerves cut (rather than clamped - a method I was not even told about), I'm realistic in the very, very feint chances of the nerves ever regenerating, so I try to just work on being as healthy as possible (e.g. supplements, exercise, tai chi, and acupuncture / cupping), in the hope that by just improving my general health, over time this may give my body the best chance to repair itself eventually. Who knows eh.

Anyway, really grateful to have another source of support, and I hope I can be a good member to the forum. If I can share tips, suggestions etc or help anyone please let me know. :)

admin
Site Admin

Re: New member

Post by admin »

Welcome JR31!

Sorry to hear about your side effects.

Can you describe in more detail the type of surgery you had (T-2 ETS and L-2 lumbar sympathectomy or lower?) and the exact nature of your side effects?

Did your hand and feet sweating stop completely?

Can you also post something in the ELS forum and in the ETS costs thread (links below):

http://www.no-ets.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=39

http://www.no-ets.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=234

Look forward to seeing more from you on this forum in the future.

JR31

Post by JR31 »

Hi, sorry only just replying.

As bad as this probably sounds, I've no idea what levels (e.g T-2) were cut. :oops: All I know was that I had the following:

1999: ETS for excessive palm sweating (incisions made under the armpits)
2000: The exact same operation re-done (after only having partial success in terms of palm dryness)
2001: Lumbar sympathectomy for excessive foot sweating (two large incisions made across my stomach)

My side-effects began in early 2002, and are the following:

- Severe compensatory sweating on my back, stomach, sides, chest and legs. The level of sweating has increased since it started (I remember having compensatory sweating on my legs after ETS, but 9-12 months after Lumbar Sympathectomy it spread to other named areas). The compensatory sweating has had a huge negative impact on my life. Can often only walk for 5 minutes before am sweating profusely all-over.
- Heat intolerance, and my whole body constantly feels overheated, including my face, which leaves me always looking and feeling flushed.
- Loss of *** function (very difficult gaining an erection (and also maintaining an erection), shrinkage / shrivel effect of ***)
- Lack of emotional feeling (for example unable to cry since the operations, even at funerals)
- Tiredness and severe loss of energy
- Weight gain (linked to loss of energy and inability to cope with heat), although thankfully I've managed to lose 1.5 stones in recent times through jogging and tai chi.
- Frequently feel dehydrated, no matter how much water I drink
- Headaches
- Often feel faint because of heat intolerance, even in mild-cool weather
- Dizziness
- The compensatory sweating makes everyday life extremely embarrassing/difficult. This has led to depression and very low self-esteem, morale and confidence (far worse than pre-surgery)
- I now sweat very little (much less than a ‘normal’ amount) from underarms, face, scalp, forehead and neck. Forehead gets very dry and itchy. Hands and feet are also extremely dry, even after a 60 minute treadmill workout.

Sorry for a bit of a long post, but at this point it feels worth being completely open and honest about the operations. Like so many other people, I feel I was only given 5%-10% of the information that I really needed before having them done. In hindsight I would have had iontophoresis, but I never knew of it's existence until all of the operations had been done unfortunately.

Anyway, thanks again.

JR31

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the detailed post and sorry to hear that. Maybe Robinul Forte can help you with the CS? Check out that part of the forums:

http://www.no-ets.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

JR31

Post by JR31 »

Hi. Thanks very much for the suggestion. To be honest though I think I've explored all there is when it comes to medications (Robinul in tablet and wipe form, and also Ditropan for example). The problem I found with them for treating compensatory sweating is that the side-effects outweighed the benefits for me. Therefore, I just keep it natural these days (for example taking a combined spirulina and chlorella supplement for general health), although saying that I do use a prescription-strength anti-perspirant on my back during the warm months, for example Odaban or Driclor. Thanks again.