I need advice/my story/struggle w Hyperhidrosis

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
Sarah31429

I need advice/my story/struggle w Hyperhidrosis

Post by Sarah31429 »

Hi! I need advice...
I've had hyperhidrosis since I was a teen.
Lately it's affecting my mental health. I can't go out in public without worrying about how I smell. I sweat a lot, especially when stressed. I have anxiety/ptsd so that doesn't help, when I'm around other people I get anxious & start sweating which makes everything worse.
I managed my stress sweat through a deoderant that really worked for me untill people started complaining that the deoderant smelled like cat piss so I stopped using it. I used other products that kept bo at bay and used perfume too. Then people complained my perfume or anything good smelling was too strong.
So I switched to an unscented deoderant & stopped using perfume & guess what happened? They complained about my Bo.
I decided to try a stronger deoderant that actually did stop 75% of my sweating & I am so greatful but the chemical smell that comes through when I get a bit warm smells bad & adding a normal deoderant over it makes my pits smell like a burning pile of once beautiful flowers.
Having said that I am now so paranoid I can hardly be around my own family let alone go out in public. I don't even want to smell good at this point I just don't want to smell bad.
This completely sucks. I shower at least twice a day, always wear clean clothes, shoes, etc, always take care of all hygiene but I'm not sure it's enough and I don't know what to do anymore. I wish peole were more understanding when it comes to how we seem to other people. I have been around plenty of stinky people & honestly it doesn't bother me, I want to gage for a second but I would never judge someone for how they smell, maybe it's a personal choice not to wear a deoderant or maybe they have a medical condition. Who knows I care more about how they treat other people.
Anyway, any advice is welcome.
Thanks!

JR31

Re: I need advice/my story/struggle w Hyperhidrosis

Post by JR31 »

Hi. As you'll likely know, there are deodorants and antiperspirants, i.e. they're two different things (although you can buy deodorants that are also antiperspirants, and vice-versa). In terms of an effective antiperspirant for underarm sweating, there is a spray called Sweat Stop which seems popular among sufferers. I believe it originates from Germany but they ship around the world. In the UK there is a spray called Odaban. From personal experience I can say that this is quite good. With these types of sprays you apply them at night, so they do their work while you're asleep. Then you wash / shower in the morning, so there is no chemical smell from it during the daytime. An advantage with these sprays (over similar roll-on products) is you can have a metered dose each time (e.g. one spray, two sprays, etc), whereas with roll-ons I find it's kind of guesswork.

For a deodorant, I like a company called Salt of the Earth. They're UK-based, and have a range of products which smell good, contain natural ingredients, and don't cause any irritation.

Hope this helps a little, and good luck.