ETS disappointment

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
lrn

ETS disappointment

Post by lrn »

Well, in my primary school years, I was always near the top of the class, a fairly confident, well-spoken child, with, I was told, above-average intelligence. I went to church, got on well with everyone and the girls liked me (already!). The school was within walking distance from home so I didn't have to leave too early or get home too late.
After year six, my parents decided I would go to a private school in another suburb. Now I had to walk, train, then bus on my own to a school where I only knew one person, who was a pain anyway. This knocked my confidence for six, and although I thought I was smarter than most kids in the class, my marks began to plummet. During the next year I noticed that I would blush very easily, so now I started standing out from the class as well.
I struggled on until year 11, but that was enough. I then entered the work force. The blushing continued. At 19, I joined a gym to build up, which I still do 36 years later. (The body's fine but the mind has gone!). Hard exercise sessions seemed to help, especially seeing everyone else there was red-faced and sweating as well! I guess that while at the gym no-one cared how I looked. However, I felt stronger physically and mentally.
Socially though, there were times when I'd make excuses not to go to things. There were also times that when the blushing was really bad, I'd leave work, saying that I was unwell. I would visit my doctor who was sympathetic, but couldn't help. This about 1975.
In my 20's & 30's, to hide it, I would spend hours in the sun, and a tan did mask the blushing. Of course this was fine in the summer.
In my forties I heard about the ETS procedure, but the nerves would be cut and it wasn't reversible, so I passed. Anyway, about 6 years ago, the procedure used clips, and it was meant to be reversible, so I had it done. To cut a long story short (the actual 'long story' is in my first post, 28/1/11), I've had the clips off for over two years and am still waiting for the nerves to grow back.
Apparently, because of scar tissue, there's a limit to how many of these ops can be done (this was my third - ETS, then clips off, then nerves refreshed and a vein used to make them re-join, and this was was only done on one side, the best option acccording to my surgeon). My surgeon, by the way, was very sympathetic and professional the whole time. As soon as there's any improvement, I'll do another post. If not, I may have my sweat glands removed.