My successful story

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
SweatingasIwrite

My successful story

Post by SweatingasIwrite »

This is my story, my successful story.

Ok, so basically I was googling "iphone sweaty palms" trying to see if there is a solution for us suffering from hyperhidrosis, and I found this forum somehow. I haven't read a single thread or post, but I have a feeling this post can help you. I am aware of that everbody have hyperhidrosis to different extents, so please do not feel I am simplifying this condition or exaggerating it; I am simply telling you my story. I will try to keep this organized, but please, read everything as I truly believe you will gain something from this. I am writing for you.

I am an 18 year old boy living in a Scandinavian country. I am of Middle Eastern origin. I have suffered from hyperhidrosis for both my hands and feet since I was around 10. I sweat excessively under my arm pits as well, but not as much as with my palms and feet. When I started sweating, the school nurse and others around me told me it was a puberty thing; it was something that I would get out off when I got older. I guess my username says it all though?

I'm sure all of you have your own story of how hard it is to socially interact with sweaty palms. After shaking a stranger or a distant friend's hand, you get one of three reactions: 1) Euuh (+weird look), 2) (only a weird look, and then you see them wiping their hands on their clothes candidly, so you won't get insulted), 3) No reaction. In school, I can tell you, number 3 never happened. I have always had friends, and even the ones closest to me made fun of my condition.

I am a boy, and I think I can generalize at least for our society, boy's are much more brutal and straightforward with their opinions and thoughts. People said it was disgusting, and kept asking me, "why are your hands sweaty all the time?" Handshaking was and still is really important, both in the culture out in school, and at home (Middle Eastern). I felt horrible. I was afraid of approaching girls, and tried avoiding situations when I had to shake hands. I got slightly paranoid: "What if they think I am nervous?".

The thing with my condition is that, yes, I can sweat when I am nervous, but it mainly happens when I am warm or in contact with something, like plastic (e.g. the laptop I am writing on right now that has two puddles). I'm not sure if other people's hyperhidrosis sweat smells, but my hands don't smell at least. Well, my feet and arm pits are what they are, so of course they smell. My feet haven't bothered my socially, only practically, as when I sleep, my bed sheets get wet because of the sweat all the time. My arm pits bother me at summer, but it is easy to avoid social embarassment by wearing darker clothes, or an open jacket (yes it gets warmer) on top of something light to cover the arm pits. I use normal deodarant.

Anyways, back to me growing up. I felt horrible as I said, and I tried to find solutions. I read about the surgical procedures, and it definitely sounded too dangerous; I read about botox, and I seriously considered it, but I did not want my single mother to have to pay for such a thing; and I heard about acupuncture. I actually payed about $ 60-70 for one treatment, felt some improvement, but decided that was too expensive too. My mother and elders told me just, "not think about it", like it would go away. I couldn't stop thinking about it, because it was such an obstacle.

In school, all the papers I wrote on got wet, my writing would get smudgy, and of course, I was afraid of approaching girls. Somehow I got through it, but as I matured when I got about 15, I really changed. These practical things like the paper and writing is easy to get around: just have another paper that you put your hand on, or pull your sleeve up and lean your hand on that. About the social issue...

When people teased me, I never took sh*t from anyone. I was never mean, but I talked back when I know I should. Kids are mean, and most people knew my sweaty palms was a condition since I had told them. When somebody made fun of my hands in front of other people, I would laugh and make fun of that person. I never showed that those words hurt, and after a while, they really didn't hurt anymore. People kept coming with the same "disses" all the time, so you knew what to expect. When I was about 15, I started high school, and decided I wouldn't mention my condition to people. When I shaked hands with people, I did so confidently, and looked them straight in the eyes. How could someone say something? Out of curtesy, I wiped my hands on my pants before shaking perhaps, but either way, I shaked with CONFIDENCE.

Now, my closest friends know I sweat, but they do not know I have "hyperhidrosis". And why would they think I am nervous? If they make a remark, I could just joke it away, like: "- Why are you sweaty? - I was touching myself...". But that's not it...

I won't go into too much detail, but I have had a girlfriend for quite some time now. My advice in this area is that if you meet somebody who cannot handle your sweaty palms/feet/arm pits, is not capable of completely loving you (unless your odour is truly pungent 24/7 or the other part is afraid of water?). I mean, it's just water. I realize that may be the case for me, but even for you guys who have pungent smells, love beats over every obstacle. I told my girlfriend of my condition on our first date (I was not sweating at the time because it was COLD outside), expecting a slightly uncomfortable response. She didn't care, and has never complained about it.

I mean, even if you approach a boy/girl and your sweaty hands touch theirs, what can happen? I might be completely guessing here, but I'm guessing the majority of people who have not had encounters with the *** that they are attracted to, have only been limited by their fear. Fear of even making that first approach; or fear leading you to BAD CONFIDENCE (!!).

Well, the purpose of this post is to change some lives, but I realize the only one that can do that is you (yes it does sound cliché). If you are uncomfortable in your current environment, try changing to a new environment and try to interact confidently with people. The worst thing you can do (in my opinion) is to try making people feel sorry for you. Yes, we are suffering from a condition, and it is both a physical and social handicap, but only as much as you make it. Sure, when I am going to shake hands with important people in the future, like job employers and others, I will be slightly handicapped. But I know if I work hard and do my best, I will not be remembered for my sweaty hands, but for my work and my personality. Sure, sweaty hands might make a bad first impression, but you must work twice as hard as a normal person to compensate for that impression. So what? We human being are capable of so many things, making first impressions one of them. Practice if you must! My surroundings is the proof of my success right now.

Some final advice..if people look uncomfortable when they shake your hands (generally) don't get uncomfortable! If you show that you also get uncomfortable, it's over! If your friends make fun of you, but your sweaty hands in their face. But above all, love yourself and be confident. It is just water!!!

I do not expect the youngest of you readers to suddenly jump up and realize you are not as handicapped as you think, but I would sincerely be impressed if you could change today. The best I can give you, is hope :). I haven't written much about this "success" I was referring to, but well, trust a stranger when I say..I am successful ;)

For you older readers..get a hold of yourself! Yes, the job environment might be a mirror image of school, but ************* let nobody step on you. Work hard, and become their boss. You really have to sweat for the things you want (haha). Even if you are a salesman who needs to win over customers with your first hand shake, use sweaty hands to your advantage. Tell your potential buyers you are nervous (even though you might not be (lying is not a problem in your occupation I am guessing)). Depending on the context you might be nervous because: 1) You are new (the buyer will understand), 2) The customer/buyer is important for your company (the buyer might get flattered) and more. Sure enough, you are sitting thinking that no "excuse" can apply to your line of work or your actions, but there are. I recommend you search for those "excuses", or rather, solutions, yourself. However, hopefully I can help you through this forum. I am 18 yes, but I have a lot of experience..

I never found out if there is a solution for the touch pad thingy (iPhones etc.). Maybe we can make our own solution? I'm fine with the phone I have now though.

Sincerely,
SweatingasIwrite

ysh

Post by ysh »

Thanks for sharing your story and I am glad you are able to handle this condition the way you do! Hopefully it will inspire others!

Anyway, I found a solution for the IPhone, IPad, Android phones etc. and it's called iontophoreris. Thanks to ionto I have been dry now for 6 weeks straight. I am 35 and I have been dealing with HH for as long as I can remember, but with ionto I don't have to think about it at all. I hope it works long term.

sweatygurl80

Post by sweatygurl80 »

I am happy to read some sort of success story like this.
I am a 30-year old girl, I can say, successful career woman.
I have been working normally for about 9 years now and have a supervisory post.
I can say I have been antisocial.
My friends and even my direct reports do not know my condition.
Only my immediate family.
And I have been living my condition like that.. for so long.
I have tried the botox years ago and I cannot have it more frequently due to its cost.
I am using the driclor.

I have not been in any relationship due to this medical problem.
During my high school, my first boyfriend discovered my condition when he asked to hold my hands.. and it's really sweaty!
i have passed that moment and been in a relationship until we finished high school.
Since I went to college we parted ways. And now he's a family man to with one kid.
Four years ago, i had this man who accepted my condition, but, I did not accept him since he has no job. I have no future with him.

I met this man in the social networking site - facebook.
He's working in KSA and I am here in the Philippines.
He is about to go home this August 2011.
We have been in an online relationship for about 2 years now.

I have this dillemma that he might not accept me for what I am.
That he might feel somehow that I have cheated him.
As the day is fast approaching, I am too nervous..
I am seeing things will end up to nothing.. that we have just wasted the 2 years!

He promised to marry me.. I don't know if that will gonna happen...
Still, I am hoping for the good thing to happen.
I am praying that he is the heavent sent....