Distraught hand-sweater

Introduce yourself and share your personal hyperhidrosis related experiences.
JBflies

Distraught hand-sweater

Post by JBflies »

First, I would like to thank the administrator for creating this website, it has been truly useful.

I don't know how different my story is compared to others'. My hands, and to some extent my feet have sweated my whole life. I hated giving high-fives as a kid and dislike shaking hands to this day. I leave paper's wet when writing and HATE receiving change when I buy something with cash because the cashier's hand might touch my wet ones. While my hands have never actually dripped sweat, they are typically damp all day and at a moment's notice can pulsate hand-drenching sweat. I have never really been able to identify what triggers the sweating to occur, but semi-warm humid climates seem to be more agreeable than cold dry ones. One moment I could be (almost) completely dry, and the next moment my hands are wet. Stress certainly exacerbates the sweating, but during bad periods, my hands sweat because I'm stressed and I'm really stressed because my hands sweat.

I try not to let my sweat become disabling, and have lived a fairly normal life all things considered. Perhaps worse than the sweating though is the blistering. I can go through rough patches where during my waking hours my hands are wet (and usually cold) all day long. After about 2-3 weeks blisters begin to form. Eventually they dry up and peel, leaving very tender skin underneath. At its worst, my entire hands have been entirely covered in blistering and peeling skin (sorry for the bad imagery). I haven't read of too many others that have been afflicted with this, so if anyone has any information please let me know.

I saw a doctor at about 10 years old and he recommended Drysol and eventually Drionic. The Drysol irritated my peeling skin and the Drionic was painful and ineffective. Fast forward about 12 years and I learned about ETS via the internet. On a side note I have spoken over the phone with Dr. Nielson in San Antonio and once with Dr. Garza in Dallas (won't be going to Dr. Garza) about getting ETS done. I have dreamed of getting it since the day I learned about it, but it wasn't until I was 27 that I pursued further treatment. I was referred to a Dermatologist who was adamantly against surgery, but instead prescribed Iontophoresis. I tried as often as I could for 3 weeks, but I probably only made it in about 6 or so times. Discouraged, I was eventually approved by my insurance to get Botox, but due to my job as an Air Force pilot, I would be unable to fly for 1-2 years until it was proven that my hands would not be paralyzed (I guess). Very discouraged at this point, I thought about just forking over the cash and getting ETS off the record, but have reconsidered. Now, thanks to the encouraging posts I will probably spend about 1/10 of the cost of ETS and trying either the Hidrex or the Idromed 5 and really stick to the treatment plan. I don't like that I will need to do it for the rest of my life, but maybe a new treatment will come along that won't involve cutting nerves.

Well, thanks for letting me post my story, it is quite therapeutic to tell it. If anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

- Hopeful

admin
Site Admin

Re: Distraught hand-sweater

Post by admin »

JB, thanks for the great post.

I would like you to do me a favor if you try Hidrex or Idromed -- check the mineral and chemical content of the water in your area and make some kind of log if you change the water type every few months. I am going to do this at some point, but there are only a few types of water I can test (Seatttle tap water, Seattle rain water, UK or Africa tap water if I visit family there, and perhaps one or two types of bottled water!). I am not even sure what types of equipment I will buy to get an idea of the mineral and chemical composition of the water, but I believe it will be of immense help to others. If you have no idea on how to measure the water composition, don't worry about this request as I am presently ignorant about that too and totally understand. I will make a page about this on my homepage soon.

It is quite strange that no-one knows exactly why iontophoresis works on a majority of hyperhidrosis sufferers, nor why some types of water work and some don't.

Also, if you purchase either machine, please do so from my Hidrex or Idromed pages on the main site via clicking on the banners. The commissions make it worth my spending time on improving this website (although I would probably do it for free too as I am passionate about this subject:-))

JBflies

Post by JBflies »

Dear Admin,

Sorry for the delayed response. I will try to report back on the mineral content of Colorado water after I get the machine. Right now I am still trying to deal with insurance to get it paid for. For many reasons, I do NOT want to get the RA Fischer machine after reading about the Idromed 5/Hidrex. If I am able to buy the Idromed, I will try to so by clicking on your banners so long as it doesn't cost more than it already costs :)

Thanks,
-JB
Last edited by JBflies on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JBflies

Dear Admin

Post by JBflies »

I bought my Idromed 5 in early December by clicking your links. I received it today and will begin treatment. I'll keep my results updated on this forum, thanks.

-JB

Forest Elf

Post by Forest Elf »

Dear Hopeful,

It's a very roundabout way that I ended up at this forum tonight, but I saw the subject of your post and felt compelled to comment, as I suffered from very similar symptoms as you and it affected every aspect of my life. I certainly don't want to discourage you from exploring any and all alternative, non-surgical means to deal with palmar hyperhidrosis, and it sounds like you've ruled out surgery for the time being. I myself had ETS in 1999 (with Christopher Drott in Sweden), and still consider it a tremendous success over 12 years later. It's only recently that I revisted the topic of hyperhidrosis, out of pure curiosity to see what advancements there had been in the field, and was shocked to see some of the horror stories out there. I have great sympathy for those that have suffered these side effects, but just wanted you to know that there are those of us who are completely satisfied with the procedure. I am profoundly grateful to have benefitted from it. My very best wishes to you in finding the best solution for yourself.

JBflies

Post by JBflies »

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. It is very reassuring to know that for many people ETS has been a complete success. I have almost finished the first month of iontophoresis (21 treatments thus far) and have had mediocre results. I will follow through with the treatments, although I am starting to feel like it may not be the success I was hoping for. Only time will tell for now, but thanks for the note.

-JB

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey JB, thats too bad you are not having great results. Did you get any advice from Markus about what to change regarding the water type?

You can return the machine if it does not work as you probably know, but I hope you have better results.