A questionnaire for all who had lumbar sympathectomy

For feet sweating.
slovenec

A questionnaire for all who had lumbar sympathectomy

Post by slovenec »

It seems that the number of people who had lumbar sympathectomy is still very low. The latest articles from the surgeons who perform ELS analyze the results from 10-100 sympathectomies. It may be a good idea to collect some objective info about the experience before and after the surgery from "real" people who had the surgery. It may help create a larger picture and help people making very important decisions. I propose the following questionnaire:

When did you have the surgery? Who was your surgeon? What type of surgery was it?

How problematic was your feet sweating before the surgery? Did conventional non-invasive therapy (iontopheresis, antiperspirants, antidepressants, ...) help?

What are the results of the surgery? Are there any side effects?

Did you have/do you have any other sympathetic nervous system related problems? Did you suffer from any major medical problems which could potentially contribute to HH?

Did you have ETS (when, which surgeon, which ganglia)? If you did: What problems did it cure? What side effects did it cause?

What is the present state of palmar/plantar/facial sweating and facial blushing now?

Do you have any relatives who also suffer from HH or FB?

Anything else you want to add?

Here are my answers:

When did you have the surgery? Who was your surgeon? What type of surgery was it?
April 2013, dr. Tarfusser, endoscopic bilateral L3 with clips.

How problematic was your feet sweating before the surgery? Did conventional non-invasive therapy (iontopheresis, antiperspirants, antidepressants, ...) help?
Horrible, the feet started dripping with sweat at the moment that I woke up and they stopped just before I went to bed. Yes, iontopheresis and antiperspirants helped a lot, but, the results were very unpredictable. Following the same treatment regime the feet could be either dry, moderately sweaty or dripping with sweat.

What are the results of the surgery? Are there any side effects (CS, neuralgia, urinary or *** problems)?
Dry feet. No side effects so far. I am not sure, but, my CS may start a little sooner than before.

Did you have/do you have any other sympathetic nervous system related problems? Did you suffer from any major medical problems which could potentially contribute to HH?
Before ETS I had the same problems with palm sweating. Palms and feet used to start and stop sweating at the same time with the same intensity. No other problems.

Did you have ETS (when, which surgeon, which ganglia)? If you did: What problems did it cure? What side effects did it cause?
Yes, in September 1997, dr. Tarfusser, both T2 cut. It cured my palmar sweating. A bit lower heart rate which causes no problems. I developed some CS which is non-existent in "normal" conditions but can get bothersome on hot & humid days or during minimal physical activity.

What is the present state of palmar/plantar/facial sweating and facial blushing now?
The surgeries completely cured my HH. The feet are completely dry and my palms now sweat as they are supposed to.

Yes, my both parents and my only sister suffer from palmo-plantar HH. No other relatives seem to have this problem.

greene57

Re: A questionnaire for all who had lumbar sympathectomy

Post by greene57 »

mid 1990s; in Australia; open sympathectomy (two x 4 inch cuts below my belly button - very fine scars but visible)

Feet would drip; balls of sweat would form on my top of my toes; in step etc. Even wearing all leather shoes, feet would sweat through, leaving salt stains on shoes. Feet would slip and slide around when wearing sandals. Only felt comfortable wearing cotton socks, which would eventually soak through as well. Internet was not what it is now in the mid-1990s - didn't hear about iontopheresis until 2 or 3 years ago, watching Britain's embarrassing bodies. Never tried it and I don't think machines are available for purchase in Australia. Antiperspirants didn't work. Never taken pills.

What are the results of the surgery? Are there any side effects?
Right foot totally dry. Left foot sweats/drips on top of big toe and across instep. Side effects are profuse sweating around the groin area and numbness on top of my thighs (I can pinch my skin and feel no pain).

I had ETS first (on right side in one operation; the left side in a 2nd op) then the lumbar sympathectomy. Prior to any surgeries, my hands would sweat profusely - so too my feet, and my body everywhere else as well. I would sweat profusely on cold days, hot days, humid days, when I was nervous, when I was relaxed, when I was embarrassed - basically all the time. I do not suffer from any major medical problems other than HH.

Yes, can't remember which ganglia. See side effects below.

After the ETS and open lumbar sympathectomy, my present state, about 20 years after the surgeries, is:
a bit of sweating on the palm of my left hand
a bit/often lot of sweating on the big toe/instep of left foot
dry right hand and foot
my hands are usually cold
my feet are usually warm/hot
profuse sweating/dripping around my whole neck, upper/mid/low back, stomach, groin area
start sweating whenever I eat anything
on humid days, feel sticky all over
people who pat me on my upper arms/shoulders (any weather conditions) often say how hot (not wet) my skin feels to the touch
very little facial sweating, if any
I do not blush on the face at all.

No.

No