Glycopyrrolate (Robinul, Robinul Forte), How to take it!

Post ETS CS

Glycopyrrolate (Robinul, Robinul Forte), How to take it!

Post by Post ETS CS »

Hi All,
At first thanks for the administrator and all the people who participated in this helpful forum.

I am post ETS compensatory sweating sufferer.
My CS is on chest, stomach, back, right groin, right thigh, behind my right knee. It's been 7 years since my ETS.
As a doctor I searched all possible solutions, oral medications, and topical treatments. I tried to compare them and I tried some of them.
I would like to share with you my experience with Glycopyrrolate (Some know it as Robinul for the 1mg strnegth, and Robinul Forte for the 2mg strength).

1- Glycopyrrolate should be taken on empty stomach to work; one hour and a half to two hours before meal work the best (I tried only one hour before meal and I got inconsistent results, So, I strongly encourage permitting one hour and a half at least between taking the medication and eating). It works best when taken on completely empty stomach, which means the best time to take it is in the morning.
2- Glycopyrrolate has active metabolites, which means its effect could last a bit longer than you think after repeated use (after few days).
3- PULSE THERAPY works the best for me in terms of better control of sweating and less side effects. I take 2mg and sometimes 3mg in the morning on empty stomach, one hour and a half to two hours before any meal. I do NOT take a second dose at evening. I think in this way the body does not develop tolerance on the medication and it stays effective on recurrent uses. Also, taking the med only in the morning decreases the side effects; while it is true I get some dry mouth and a bit of dry eyes during the day but since I don't take an evening dose then I don't have these bothering side effects at night and I don't wake up with dry mouth, nose, or eyes. yet; as I mentioned above, Glycopyrrolate has active metabolites which means after few days of use you will notice that it is very likely that you wake up drier than you used to be (in my case, dry feet).
4- Taking 2 mg once a day in the morning is much better than taking 1 mg twice a day. Taking 2mg in the morning gave me better control over my sweating that, as you know, happens mostly during morning and afternoon. Also taking Glycopyrrolate once a day gave me less, if any, side effects at night, like dry nose, mouth, and eye when waking up. On the other hand; taking 1mg twice a day did NOT help my sweating much during the day and gave me more side effects at night. So, I suggest whatever the dose that works for you try to take it once a day in the morning, wait few day to be able to evaluate this method.
5- of note; any medicament you try you have to give it few days to about a week to be able to evaluate its efficacy and side effects because the level of the medication needs few doses (most often 5 to 7 doses) to reach its steady therapeutic level in the blood and the tissues and organs of the body. Do not give up from the first few days.

I hope I was helpful somehow, please feel free to provide me with any feedback and critics.
Last edited by Post ETS CS on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

steve_nf

Re: Glycopyrrolate (Robinul, Robinul Forte), How to take it!

Post by steve_nf »

Great info. Bookmarking this just in case I ever take Robinul!

pinker1

Re: Glycopyrrolate (Robinul, Robinul Forte), How to take it!

Post by pinker1 »

My experience with robinul has changed since I first started taking it.

I initially took a 1mg dose in the morning (on an empty stomach 1-2 hours before food) and this worked great for a while. However after two months it no longer has the same effect, perhaps only 50% as effective as it was initially. I have severe sweating so the difference is quite noticable. Now I have to take 2mg in the morning to achieve dryness, but as a result I experience the side effects more.

Over these same two months I've gradually stopped using iontophoresis because I was unsure of whether it was working or not... but now I realise I needed the combination of iontophoresis AND robinul if I wished to take only 1mg. The problem with taking 2mg is the tablets run out before my next appointment.

Anyway, I think taking a low dose of robinul is possible as long as you are using it in combination with something else. The side effects with 2mg weren't unbearable but they are certainly more noticable (however it beats having dripping wet hands).